Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle surprise medical bill

tag
Estexan07
Valued Member

How to handle surprise medical bill

I need help in deciding my next steps here and if my plan of action is sound. About a year ago I began investigating my credit after being denied my first CC and noticed a collection on my experian report. It was for a medical bill, $159 that went into collections in 8/2008. I was barely a freshman in college at this time and had no memory of being in the hospital or going to the doctor, at the same time my dad had been in multiple times for back surgery. We share the same first and last name and the same address at the time of collection. I assumed this must be a mix up and disputed it with experian... nothing. I then forgot about it.

Fast forward to recently. Same issue, denied a CC. So, I called up the Hospital/Clinic with the given account number on my report. Turns out I DO owe them for a doctors visit made on 2/17/2007, 15 days after my 18th birthday. Apparently the service was mostly paid for by my parents insurance, but the remaining part to the patient (ME) was suppose to be paid by me since I was newly 18. 

I of course never saw this bill, never knew anything about it, and never assumed I owed anything... I was a HS senior with no knowledge of how these things worked. Heck, I know I went to the doctor with my mom.

So, what next? It's been a little over 4.5 years since the collection was filed. I'm guessing I should determine if the doctors office owns the account? They were able to find it in their system when I called today, but I didn't think to ask if they stilled owned it or if it was sold to the CA.

Is there an yway to pay this to have it removed from my report? Wait the 2.5 remaining years and have it fall off?

Thanks

EDIT: Wow, the guy in this thread near the top looks like he's in the same boat: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/DV-Medical-Collection-Couldn-t-validate-my-de...

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Estexan07
Valued Member

Re: How to handle surprise medical bill

Did more reading, my planned steps:

1. Find out who owns the debt.

A. IF doctors office still:

a. Negotiate PIF if they'll remove it from CA / reports.

b. If not go to B.

B. IF collection agency (Credit Systems International):

a. Send PFD to CA

b. HIPPA process??

c. If they won't remove, wait the remaining 2.5 years...

Does this look sound? Basically, determine who has the debt still... start with the OC, move on to the CA. Try to PIF with agreement of deletion. It's only $159, I don't mind PIF, I just want it off my report. It's the only negative I have. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Who is reporting it, OC, CA or both? 

If the OC owns it ask to pay it and to call back the debt from the CA.  It can be done.  Also ask for deletion if the OC is reporting.

If the CA owns it and is reporting offer a PFD.

On a side note, I disagree that you have to pay because you are of legal age.  My kids were under my insurance until they were 23.  I always got the bills for the outstanding balance, not them.  My problems started when they were no longer on my insurance and on their own.  I would get their medical bills on my CR. 

Message 3 of 17
Estexan07
Valued Member

I don't know for sure yet who is reporting it. 

In dealing with the OC, should I request everything in writing, same as dealing with a CA? In other words, if they say they will call back the debt, should I ask if I can have that in writing? I would think yes. 

I agree, but the woman I talked to said "it was covered under their insurance, but the patient services portion was not so it was billed to you since you were 18." At the time I obviously had no idea I owed, or would owe, anything. My dad was also under going several back surgeries at the time so even if a bill was sent to my parents address (my residence at the time) there's no telling were it ended up and no surprise I or my parents didn't notice it. 

Message 4 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Generally, you can trust the OC when they say they will do something.  Personally, I wouldn't ask for it in writing.

Message 5 of 17
Estexan07
Valued Member

I have limited time to work on this while at work, but I just called the OC back...

She was unable to locate the bill. I just contacted them 30 minutes before making this thread and the women was able to find the bill. What in the world... She tried for a solid 15 minutes. My bill/collection disapeared within the past 2 hours?...

I went ahead and asked about who owned the debt. They both do. She said paying them (the OC) would work and they would report this to the CA. BUT, she went on to say it would stay on my report and report as paid. That's not what I want. 

If the OC won't remove it I guess it's on to a PFD letter to the CA. This of course after the OC finds my bill...

Message 6 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There is no such thing as an OC and a CA both owning the same debt.  Its one or the other.  The CA was probably assigned the debt.

Message 7 of 17
Estexan07
Valued Member

Ok, that makes sense, I guess I misunderstood. The CA has the debt, but if I were to pay the OC they'll let the CA know. Now I need to call back and see if they can actually find the bill and negotiate from there. Didn't sound good from what she said. 

Message 8 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the CA is reporting just ask them for a PFD.  The OC has no control over the reporting of the CA.

Message 9 of 17
Estexan07
Valued Member

Mailed out a PFD letter to Credit Systems International on Thursday. And now we wait, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help guiness56!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.