Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open a credit card back up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to open a credit card back up

So a few years ago my ex and I were still together at the time and it was a rough time. I had lost my job and my husband used my credit card to pay bills. But instead of paying the debt he never did, instead he maxed out the card and life kept getting rough. Anyways I had a account with discover and capital one that are closed or charged off. Is there anything that I can do to get these account open and being able to pay it off like I would if it was still a open card I could use. I wanted to send a letter but wasnt sure what I should put in it or how to word it. I want the accounts back open to be able to use it after I pay the debt down or off. That way it will help my credit and I could get the missed payment , and the fees and fines off of the report and total amount.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to open a credit card back up

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but no there is no chance they will reopen charged off cards. They will advise you you are always welcome to apply for a new card. However if you want a card with either of them, it will likely take you resolving your delinquent accounts first.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debtguy3939 is correct. No, it does not work like that. Especially if charged off. You will have to pay the debt. And even after that, it may take a while to get approved again by them.
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Cap-1 has a policy of no new credit till 1 yr has passed from any CO with them. Its possible to get a new account with them without settling the previous but I would settle with them they may still be able to use the courts to collect if its inside states SOL

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.