Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to pay off a blacklisted AMEX debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to pay off a blacklisted AMEX debt?

Hey everyone, 

I burned AMEX back in 2012 for $2100 and really want to get back in with them although unsurprisingly I'm blacklisted (tried to get added as an AU to no avail). I received an settlement offer in the mail to pay off 60% of the total debt over a 24-month span from the following contact info: 

American Express 
P.O. Box 6985 
Buffalo, NY 14230-6985
1-855-618-2435

Now upon researching I can't tell if this is a third-party branch or actual in-house AMEX collections, I'm getting mixed findings online when I search it up by people saying it's not them to saying it is them. To sum it up though, my questions in a nutshell are:

• Is the above the actual AMEX/has anyone received a settlement offer letter from this address? Just nervous that if I accept it won't affect my placement on the blacklist.
  • If it does happen to be AMEX, would it possible to be removed from the blacklist/regain card membership if I pay the settlement?
  • As it's likely better to pay it off in full, can I call American Express directly to do so and would that increase my chances for getting back in versus accepting that settlement offer? What if they say it was sold to a creditor? Not sure on the etiquette and how realistic trying to settle a 6 year old debt with them directly is.
  • I used to receive the Optima/Oasis invite letter, I received one maybe once a year but haven't got one as of 2016. Would this be a way to go, and can I call to request the invite again or do I have to ride it out? My worry is I won't receive the invite in the mail ever again.

Any help would be much appreciated! Officially starting my journey to mend my relationship with AMEX and really hope it pans out!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to pay off a blacklisted AMEX debt?

If your true intentions are to pay to get back in, I would call the number and question if they are in fact Amex or an outside collector. As old as the debt is, I would either settle or PIF and question if I would be able to become a member again. You have nothing to lose at this point. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 2 of 3
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: How to pay off a blacklisted AMEX debt?

no such thing as `outside' with amex, they retain 100% of their debts.  settle in full or less will always = ymmv as far as being able to do business with them again.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.