cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to respond to "can't delete. Must report accurately"

tag
Tideturner

How to respond to "can't delete. Must report accurately"

Trying to get goodwill removal of a single late for cap1. 

They are going to respond that they cannot remove, and that they must report accurately I assume.

how do I respond to that? I was reading that some say don't ask for delete, but for an adjustment. I feel like that is semantics or I don't know the difference.

any advise? Executive Office rep. is calling me back later and want to be ready.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to respond to "can't delete. Must report accurately"

@Tideturner wrote:

Trying to get goodwill removal of a single late for cap1. 

They are going to respond that they cannot remove, and that they must report accurately I assume.

how do I respond to that? I was reading that some say don't ask for delete, but for an adjustment. I feel like that is semantics or I don't know the difference.

any advise? Executive Office rep. is calling me back later and want to be ready.

All you can do is explain to them is why it happened, what you are doing to mitigate it in the future and why you deserve an adjustment. They will either accept or reject, in the case of a reject you just keep trying, I used to do every 3 months with a creditor until I got the desired result. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
Tideturner

Yes I have been sending letters for about 4 months now and have a stance of rejections.

my issue always comes back to them saying that it's illegal to report inaccurate information. this was late so for them to report otherwise would be illegal.

then I read that this is flat out untrue but I am not sure why?

i am just looking for why it is not illegal for them to delete, or "adjust", my late payment off my reports.

Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The FCRA does not say any creditor HAS to report, only that if they do, it must be accurate.  So there is nothing illegal about them deleting a previously reported late.

Message 4 of 10
Tideturner

But if they deleted the negative 30 day late, wouldn't that be inaccurate?

am I asking them to change the 30 late to ND, or delete the entire tradeline?

i am hesitant to ask to delete the entire TL because it's now a 0 balance from a 9,000 high about 5 months ago.. Hate to lose to 10,000 limit against my UT. id still rather lose the 30 tho I am thinking

Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, not really.  It would just mean it wasn't reported for that month.

Is the account still open?

Message 6 of 10
Tideturner

Yes account still open. It was an account I opened for the 0% bt rate and I paid off the 9k in about 6 months. I set up an auto payemt via bofa that didn't happen somehow. Didn't notice till 4 days after it was 30 late when I was paying the next month. Called immediately and paid over the phone. Been calling and writing letters every since. 

Message 7 of 10
Tideturner

I will also add that when it popped up as late cap1 lowered my limit from 10k to 6100. In one of my letters, I complained about this and i noticed that they restored my limit the following month back to the 10k. I thought that was odd. Maybe not. 

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA does not require all information to be reported, does not require that all reporting be accurate, and does not state that accurate reporting cannot be deleted.

The FCRA states that any information must not knowlingly be inaccurate then reported.

No statute can mandate human accuracy, and inaccuracy in reporting is not itself basis for deletion of the reporting.  Any dispute can be properly resolved by correction of a reported inaccuracy.

Deletion of accurate reporting leaves no reporting, and no reporting cannot be inaccurate reporting of the informationl

However, the business policy of the CRAs is that once reporting has been made, it should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.

That is their business practice to maintain the completeness and thus value of the product they sell.

It is part of the busniess agreement of each furnisher with the CRAs, not a requirement of law.

Since deletion is totally voluntary on the part of the furnisher, debating if or why they choose not to delete is apt to foster contention that is contrary to their grant of good-will.  I would soft-pedal arguments with them.

Message 9 of 10
Tideturner

Thank you all for the info. I wil agree that an adverserial position on my part would be unwise. I plan to be cordial but want to be able to go further than "sorry, we cannot do that by law" 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.