Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you handle? CA asking “why” I want to settle

tag
ccgal16
Established Member

How would you handle? CA asking “why” I want to settle

I wrote a CA asking if we could settle the debt for a specific amount. They responded asking why I wanted to settle rather than pay for the debt in full. How would one properly respond to that question? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How would you handle? CA asking “why” I want to settle

It sounds like a common negotiating tactic. The response is, "This is what I'm willing to offer."

My car dealer asked silly questions like this during negotiations as well. Don't feel compelled to actually answer the silly questions.

Message 2 of 7
ccgal16
Established Member

Thank you for responding. I will respond to his email with just that and see what happens next. I guess i was just surprised that he asked me that question. If anything I would've just expected a "no" in response. 

Message 3 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

"Why should I pay the full amount? You didn't when you bought it."

Message 4 of 7
ccgal16
Established Member

Hahaha! That's a good one too and so true! 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccgal16 wrote:

I wrote a CA asking if we could settle the debt for a specific amount. They responded asking why I wanted to settle rather than pay for the debt in full. How would one properly respond to that question? 

I think it is an unfair question from the CA.  They already know why you want to settle!  And why would you want to pay the full amount, when they purchased the debt for pennies on the dollar??  (You could have answered, "well, I'm in a charitable mood, and would like to help offset the costs of feeding your family during these difficulty times."Smiley Surprised That won't get you a PFD, but you get my point.  

I would be brief and tell them why you need this removed, and how it is negatively impacting your credit score.

Good luck with everything!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no scoring advantage on a collection to paying in full rather than settling. That would be another point.

True enough paying in full would look better on a manual review for a mortgage but...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.