Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you handle this collection call

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How would you handle this collection call

I received this telephone call both at my office and on my cell phone.

Hell MY Name

My name is Mr. XXX .  I am a fraud investigator for attorney XXX.  There is a pending case attached to your social and I wanted to brief you about the details before I had to render a decision against you.  Your case # is XXX. Please give me a call back at (local telephone number)

How do I find out what this is regarding  without calling this individual back? 

If my only option is to call him back, what should I NOT say on the phone?

Thanks for any info,  I rattled me when I first heard the  it, but as I listen to it ti appears to be designed to shake one into response. (Its working pretty well, actually)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How would you handle this collection call

Do you have caller ID? There's a website at whocalled.us where you can plug in the phone number and find out the name of the company.

Still, the only way to really find out what they want is to call them. If it were me, here's what I would do:

1) I would be recording the phone call when I called them.

2) I would make sure they have my correct address and telephone number. (That way they can't use the "attempting to locate contact information" ruse to call other people about this.)

3) I would politely refuse to give them any information other than my correct address and telephone number.

4) I would get as much information as possible about the debt they are attempting to collect -- at the very least, the name of the creditor and the amount they are claiming is owed.

5) I would ask them to send me that information in writing and I would ask them to make all future contact by mail rather than by phone.

6) And at that point I would end the call. They will be pressuring you to commit to a payment plan or to immediately pay in full. I would say that "I don't remember anything about this account, I'll have to research it." They will continue to press, at which point I would say "I really have nothing further that I can tell you right now, please send me the information about the account in writing. Have a good day." And then hang up.

The FDCPA requires them to notify you in writing within 5 days of their initial contact with you, and provide the name of the original creditor and the balance. They are also required to tell you about your rights to dispute the debt. If they don't, then you have your first violation of the FDCPA. Probably the first of many. In fact, the phone call you described is treading awfully close to the line. Misrepresenting the nature of the debt, the nature of the collector, and threatening to take legal action which they can't legally take or don't plan to take, are all violations of the FDCPA.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How would you handle this collection call

IMO......I would go to another land line & press *67    this should block the phone # that you are calling from.

All you want to know is the name of the CA........go online for their addy ( IF it isn't reporting on your CR already)

You may be able to get their address from whoever answeres the phone BUT some will not tell you without you giving info....Don't tell the anything....if they will not give their address hang up!

I would not talk to them!!!!   send a DO NOT CALL XXX-XXX-XXXX, contact me by mail only!

send it CMRRR

Keep in mind that CAs will call any # that they can get and this might not have anything to do with you! Make them spend the time & postage to put it in writting.

After they sign for your letter....if they continue to call each call is a violation.....If you can  save all calls DO SO!  complain to the FTC

Message Edited by HappyDays on 07-01-2008 01:55 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.