Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Success in 5 months!!!

tag
thehock22
Established Member

Huge Success in 5 months!!!

Alright everyone, I felt compelled to tell my story bc I was where many of you are or had been at one time.....down in the dumps, thinking you'll never get out.  So the better part of my 20's consisted of poor financial decisions, biting off more than I could chew, being rejected for credit and getting defensive anytime I was in department store and they ask "Do you have a Macy's card?"  My stomach was churning every time bc I knew they would ask and it reminded me how bad I felt.  So this past May I decided enoughs enough!!  My credit was a dismal 519 across the board!!  I've had a good job but the car I (had) was killing me!!  It was breaking down all the time, I was upside down, I was paying 16.7% and 454 a month.  Trust me it sucked.  

The first order of business was going after collections.  I owed around $1500 btwn 5 of them (all medical, accept 1) As I payed them I disputed them all with the CB'S. I simply said they agreed to remove upon payment.  Just in case you don't know, your run of the mill CA is terrible with paperwork.  So when something's disputed often times they don't respond bc they got their money.  Now a company such as a credit card company or others like it will often times be more difficult to have removed.  Anyways, within 4 or 5 days of paying them and getting them removed, my score went up 70 points.  

After that success, I was sitting at the 580 range.  I then focused on paying off my cc's.  I owed around 2500 but had 97% util on high interest cards.  So every extra penny I could scrap up went to them and then realized leveraging cycle end dates Helps as well bc they report the balance on the end date.  My goal to lower my util was to initially grt to 65% util, then 40%, 25%, then under 15.  Once I did that scores jumped to 630 to 640.

Lastly, I disputed everything negative in my report.  Lates (which I had a good amount), inquiries, updated personal info, I mean everything.  This past week, I get a score watch alert.  Equifax jumps to 665!!!  So what did I do with needing a new car?  I went online, immediately.  I first applied to Cap One, immediate approval of 7.36 (I about had a heart attack),  then Wells Fargo, 6.99.  Went car shopping, picked out my car and by a little negotiation, needed up with a 5.84!!!!  It's not .9 or 0%. But considering I was at 16.7, huge success!!! 

I tell you this story bc 5 months ago I never thought I'd be here today, hell, even one week ago.  Put the effort in, be committed, and it will happen.......I promise!!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Re: Huge Success in 5 months!!!

Good for you! I am hoping to be where you are in 5 months from now! Love to hear these stories. What was your total increase from paying off the credit cards? 580 to 640? I am really hoping that is the thing that will bring us up!

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
diabla
Regular Contributor

Great story!  Congrats!  You are so right about learning about the reporting dates for the ccs.  I used to not really get that, I would use the card, pay it, but my credit was still bad.  Now I have a little chart on my computer with all of the cut off dates and the reporting dates, so I try to pay in full or as close as possible to full by those dates.  I saw big jumps in my score when I got my utilization way down to less than 10%.  It's learning how to play the game!

Message 3 of 17
Epcot
Valued Contributor

That's great. All your hard work is paying off. Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your new car!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 17
thehock22
Established Member

Thanks everyone!  It was easy but the hard work def paid off.

Message 6 of 17
thehock22
Established Member

Janj80

519 to 560 to 595 to 665 

the collections caused a huge jump as did getting my util down.  If you Chet at or under 15% you should see significant increase.  I'd say 30+ pts.  

Message 7 of 17
thehock22
Established Member

Also, the dealership contacted me today and they got me a better rate.  5.04% instead of 5.84%.  I'll take it!!!

Message 8 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Better and better!!!!!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 17
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Congrat on your new cars...and successful story.....love it...

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.