Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I NEED SOME DIRECTION, PLEASE!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I NEED SOME DIRECTION, PLEASE!

Hello all. Im new to this comm. and at 34 y/o just now starting to realize the importance of credit. I received my firsr C.C. at 16. Actually used it very responsibily and when I was 18 got a Discover Plat 10k CL. Lets just say the next 15 yrs made every institution sorry they gave me credit. Skip to May of 2015. I had gone thru a major life style (make-over) and decided it was time to check out my credit situation. I hadnt applied for anything in over 7 yrs so I figured I wouldnt be in TOO bad of shape. I got on to Credit Karma and to my dismay seen that I was about 12k in debt. A lot of the accounts in collections were due to identity theft. So, I got to work on disputing, police reports, letters, disputes, more letters, ect. My scores were in the area of 495-510. TU always the lowest bc my oldest line of credit is my electric bill that Iv had for 18yrs and Never been late on. I applied for a QS1 and was denied. So I got the Cap1 secured w/ a $200 CL. Over the next 6 months I was a Bulldog. Obsessive! I was injured at work back in Oct 2014 so Im stuck in the house. Nothing to do but dispute baddies and check to see if my score moved a point. I counted down the days until the 6 month mark to see if I got the CLI and sure enough I did. At this point I was really wrestling with whether or not to apply for the QS1 again. I bit the bullet and applied. @ days later I received a denial stating the reason was I had a security alert in place and they couldnt contact me. But I also seen that when they did their hard pull my score was 666. This was very close to what CreditWise has me at but about 90 points higher than what Credit Karma has. Anyhow, I removed the security alert and applied again, HATING that I had to take another H.I. This time I was approved for a $500 CL. I was a lil bummed, hoping it would have been higher but hey, this was my first "real card" in 17 yrs! So, now here we are, approaching the first billing cycle of the new card and it has not yet been reported to any of the CRAs. I suppose this is common. Now.....after all that being said.....my questions are....1) At this point, what are my best options? I currently have 4 H.I.s w/ TU,  5 w/ EQ  and 6 w/ EX   so   2) should I apply for another card or "garden"?...3)Can I get a small personal loan (just to boost my score) w/o a bank acct?   Oh yrah, back in 2012 I over drafted my BoA checking acct so now I have a EWS reporting....which brings up another question!!! When I receive my Workers Comp settlement=20k-60k...what do I do with it when I cant open a bank acct!?!? I know this is a lot of info and any recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance      beginning; FAKO 5/15 TU-495 EQ-505  current;FAKO 4/2/16 TU-587 EQ-656 EX-688    2/1/16 Cap1 H.I. TU-666   2/28/16 EQ personal solutions trial scores TU-621 EQ-647 EX-659

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: I NEED SOME DIRECTION, PLEASE!

A lot of credit unions don't use EWS or Chexsystem. Look up which ones don't and open an account there. Use your credit card wisely and pay what you use. I know the limit is low so use it and pay it off multiple times during the month. At the end of 6 months ask for CLI. Give it another year and your score will go up. Also check FICO scores using CreditCheckTotal.com

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I NEED SOME DIRECTION, PLEASE!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous all. Im new to this comm. and at 34 y/o just now starting to realize the importance of credit. I received my firsr C.C. at 16. Actually used it very responsibily and when I was 18 got a Discover Plat 10k CL. Lets just say the next 15 yrs made every institution sorry they gave me credit. Skip to May of 2015. I had gone thru a major life style (make-over) and decided it was time to check out my credit situation. I hadnt applied for anything in over 7 yrs so I figured I wouldnt be in TOO bad of shape. I got on to Credit Karma and to my dismay seen that I was about 12k in debt. A lot of the accounts in collections were due to identity theft. So, I got to work on disputing, police reports, letters, disputes, more letters, ect. My scores were in the area of 495-510. TU always the lowest bc my oldest line of credit is my electric bill that Iv had for 18yrs and Never been late on. I applied for a QS1 and was denied. So I got the Cap1 secured w/ a $200 CL. Over the next 6 months I was a Bulldog. Obsessive! I was injured at work back in Oct 2014 so Im stuck in the house. Nothing to do but dispute baddies and check to see if my score moved a point. I counted down the days until the 6 month mark to see if I got the CLI and sure enough I did. At this point I was really wrestling with whether or not to apply for the QS1 again. I bit the bullet and applied. @ days later I received a denial stating the reason was I had a security alert in place and they couldnt contact me. But I also seen that when they did their hard pull my score was 666. This was very close to what CreditWise has me at but about 90 points higher than what Credit Karma has. Anyhow, I removed the security alert and applied again, HATING that I had to take another H.I. This time I was approved for a $500 CL. I was a lil bummed, hoping it would have been higher but hey, this was my first "real card" in 17 yrs! So, now here we are, approaching the first billing cycle of the new card and it has not yet been reported to any of the CRAs. I suppose this is common. Now.....after all that being said.....my questions are....1) At this point, what are my best options? I currently have 4 H.I.s w/ TU,  5 w/ EQ  and 6 w/ EX   so   2) should I apply for another card or "garden"?...3)Can I get a small personal loan (just to boost my score) w/o a bank acct?   Oh yrah, back in 2012 I over drafted my BoA checking acct so now I have a EWS reporting....which brings up another question!!! When I receive my Workers Comp settlement=20k-60k...what do I do with it when I cant open a bank acct!?!? I know this is a lot of info and any recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance      beginning; FAKO 5/15 TU-495 EQ-505  current;FAKO 4/2/16 TU-587 EQ-656 EX-688    2/1/16 Cap1 H.I. TU-666   2/28/16 EQ personal solutions trial scores TU-621 EQ-647 EX-659

First off - STOP COUNTING INQUIRIES. They are the last thing you should worry about at this point.

Second - Get your real FICO scores. Credit Check Total can give you all three FICO 8 scores for $1. When the seven day trial preiod is up, you can cancel, and they will offer it to you for 50% off.

Third, get a Bank account opened - I would suggest trying SDFCU. You can qualify for membership by joining American Consumer Council, for 5 bucks.

Apply for a Cap One Platinum card. If denied for too many Cap One accounts, close the secured card and try again the next day.

If you have no installment credit at all, apply for a secured personal loan with SDFCU.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.