cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like I'm right outside the CAP1 bucket..

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I feel like I'm right outside the CAP1 bucket..

And here's why...

I was approved for the Platinum Mastercard with a $3k SL shortly after the BK7 discharge hit my CR. I was able to PC it to a Quicksilver after three months, and got the $500 Credit Steps increase.

Seven months after being approved for the Plat(QS) card, I saw a message in the CreditWise app that I was pre-approved for the SavorOne card. I bit and got the same $3k SL with a $500 Credit Steps increase. BUT...this time it was a World Elite Mastercard. I have read that CAP1 will get higher swipe fees from this one with that designation, so CAP1 had incentive to do so, but is that the only reason? (BTW, this seems totally unfair to retailers)

So I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like the combination of the high starting limits, and the WEMC status is a sign that I am not bucketed. What are your thoughts? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Re: I feel like I'm right outside the CAP1 bucket..

You were placed into credit steps this in itself says its a bucketed card though you may be able to gain higher CLIs that others since they started with higher CLs. All you can do is use them and hit the CLI button every 181 days from last CLI.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 2 of 12
Valued Contributor

@gorgon wrote:

And here's why...

I was approved for the Platinum Mastercard with a $3k SL shortly after the BK7 discharge hit my CR. I was able to PC it to a Quicksilver after three months, and got the $500 Credit Steps increase.

Seven months after being approved for the Plat(QS) card, I saw a message in the CreditWise app that I was pre-approved for the SavorOne card. I bit and got the same $3k SL with a $500 Credit Steps increase. BUT...this time it was a World Elite Mastercard. I have read that CAP1 will get higher swipe fees from this one with that designation, so CAP1 had incentive to do so, but is that the only reason? (BTW, this seems totally unfair to retailers)

So I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like the combination of the high starting limits, and the WEMC status is a sign that I am not bucketed. What are your thoughts? 

I am guessing that if you are in Credit Steps you are Bucketed.   You are just in a higher bucket than those who get a $500 SL.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean

Message 3 of 12
Established Contributor

Cards are bucketed not people. It’s possibly for the same person to have bucketed cards and non bucketed cards from Cap1

I just returned from financial hell. Don't go, the brochure is a lie.
Message 4 of 12

Can someone explain what bucketed means lol
Message 5 of 12
Valued Contributor

@Psycho wrote:

When you open a card with Cap One they assign you to a bucket.   If the card is considered a starter card such as the Platnium MC or Quicksliver you generally get a low starting limit, with a predertimed CLI after 5 on time payments.    Generally speaking these cards will not see  much credit limit growth even when your credit score increases. 

If you have a bucketed card you are usually better off opening a new account as baddies drop off and your FICO increases instead of trying for CLI on a starter/rebuilder card. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean

Message 6 of 12
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Psycho wrote:

Here is a simplified explanation of asset backed securities, commonly referred as "buckets" around here 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

EX 753 EQ 773 TU 752
Message 7 of 12
Valued Member

@Remedios wrote:

@Psycho wrote:

Here is a simplified explanation of asset backed securities, commonly referred as "buckets" around here 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

That is a very good read. Thank you Remedios for posting this link.

Message 8 of 12
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You're welcome 

EX 753 EQ 773 TU 752
Message 9 of 12
Regular Contributor

I'm going to hit the LUV button as soon as I'm eligible on the Plat QS and see what happens.

Does anyone know if the 6-month CLI clock starts on the date I did the PC, or the date of the Credit Steps CLI?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.