cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel like I was just kicked in the face!

tag
toodles12
Valued Member

Re: I feel like I was just kicked in the face!

Wait a second...

You're saying they can take a total of 50% from his check?

His CS isn't 25% of his check. It's just a fixed amount. His CS, if I were to estimate, is 10% of his net.

So can the CA take 15% or 40%? I'm a little confused.

Starting Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (1/18/2013)
Current Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (01/18/2013)
FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I'm just telling you what the Indiana statutes say.

You can have more than one garnishment but they can't total over 25% of his disposal income.

Child support is 50% and if another garnishment happened, a total of 50%.

If they aren't doing it now, they probably won't.

Mine doesn't depend on what the state says because I get federal income.  Mine can be garnished only for other government debts.  It was garnished for a government credit card.  While they could take 2/3 of my check, they were kind and only garnished 15%.

Message 12 of 19
toodles12
Valued Member

I hope I didn't come across as jumping on you. Completely not my intent! It just caught me off guard.

50% garnishment would be devestating for our family.

I think I'll try to contact legal aid and see if they can direct me to someone to answer this question.

Thank you for your help Guiness! I really do appreciate it!!

FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Message 13 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, you didn't and I understand.

Don't you have to go to court about income, assests and things like that?  Have a budget worked up to show you can't afford it. 

I know they can but still find it ruthless of them to garnish wages when you are already in a payment plan with them.

Message 14 of 19
JayDilla
Valued Member

I would not worry as much about the order to appear. Let the judge know your financial situation, let him know about the arrangement already agreed by both parties for $40 a month and that the payments have been payed monthly by you as ageed. A judge....my uncles one btw...are not out to help the corporate bullies like most think. they will use sensible judgement on what you can afford the amount still owed the previous agreement by both parites. Most judges lean towards the individual then the companys in these type of cases.

Starting Score: 452
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@JayDilla wrote:

I would not worry as much about the order to appear. Let the judge know your financial situation, let him know about the arrangement already agreed by both parties for $40 a month and that the payments have been payed monthly by you as ageed. A judge....my uncles one btw...are not out to help the corporate bullies like most think. they will use sensible judgement on what you can afford the amount still owed the previous agreement by both parites. Most judges lean towards the individual then the companys in these type of cases.

I would most certainly worry about an order to appear.  The last thing the OP needs is not to show up and gets the maximum amount taken through garnishment.

Message 16 of 19
toodles12
Valued Member

We're definitely appearing. If not, I'm sure they get the default of whatever they want.

We'll just tell the judge about our payment plan and see if he'll make them continue to honor it.

Keep your fingers crossed for us. The date is 03/08.

FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Message 17 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 18 of 19
toodles12
Valued Member

I certainly will. Thank you for listening and offering advice. Smiley Happy

FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.