Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a collection letter last week

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a collection letter last week

I moved out of an apartment complex last Feb. and thought all was well. Last week I got a collections letter on their behalf saying that I owe $7xx.xx but they gave no details. I spoke with the manager of the apartments (same manager that leased me the apartment unit) and she was able to tell me that I was being charged for a month's worth of rent including other fees. She said she would pull my file and give me an itemized bill and that she would call me back in a hour. That was Monday and I still haven't been able to get more details from her, she's either out of the office or too busy. I called the corporate office and they said they don't keep that kind of records.

The contract says that I have to give them a 30 day notice that I'm moving out. I gave them the signed notice about a month and a half or two in advance, so I'm not sure why I'm being charged a months rent ($6xx.xx).

What can I do to dispute this? I'm afraid if I send the collections agency a dispute letter that it will come back as a valid debt and the apartment complex has been of very little help.

If I have no choice but to send a letter, should I send a copy to the complex and corporate office as well? How about a copy to my attorney general? And last, should I explain the situation in that letter? How I gave proper notice and left the apartment clean?

Thanks Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I got a collection letter last week

Was your lease over...some leasing companies have different guidelines...like when I live in Louisiana...all we had to do is give 30 days notice...and pay a month in advance to leave the apartment complex...but here in Texas...whatever kind of lease you sign...if you leave anytime before that...your are charged...or billed for...the remainder of the lease...so if you have a 12 month lease...and leave on the 10th month....you have all these ridiculous fees...plus the remining 2 months...will be sent to collections...so maybe you need to read over your lease again...but I would call that company every chance I get...until I talk to the manager...
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lease was over, I gave them I letter stating I did not intend to renew and that I was moving out.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah...I would keep calling that manager...until I get solid proof..the debt is wrong...and get them to pull it out of collections....
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll keep trying but she's being very difficult and I have 3 more weeks to send a letter to the CA disputing the debt. Oh and AFAIK, it hasn't been reported on my credit.

Message Edited by javi84 on 07-23-2008 05:55 PM
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the meantime...you can DV the CA...
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you still have proof that you submitted your 30 day notice??

What state do you live in? Some states are "Pro-Landlord" while some favor the tenant ... if you want to know your rights and remedies, it would help us to know your state!

Lastly, are you in a position to VISIT the property manager? I would stop by about an hour after they've opened their office for the day. I've lived in several apartment complexes over the years and that seems to universally be the best time to drop in. They're usually all there by that point, and it's usually too early for apartment hunters to have wandered in.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any proof but I submitted one via fax and my girlfriend submitted a copy of the same one in person. So two notices altogether. I'm in AZ.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would DV the CA.

File a complaint against the apartment complex via BBB.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can do. Should I send a complain to the AG as well?

Message Edited by javi84 on 07-24-2008 01:44 PM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.