Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a new 30-day late

donkort
Valued Contributor

I have a new 30-day late

Hi folks,

I was stupid.  I had forgotten that one of my Capital One credit cards had an annual fee.  So I didn't pay the fee until after 30 days were up.

I called Capital One.  They said they would  "update" my credit file in a week or so.  I mentioned the 30-day late, and the person on the line stated that this would be only a "one-time thing."  I certainly hope "updating" my credit file means the 30-day late will be expunged.  If not, I guess I'd have to write a goodwill letter.

From anyone's experience, could it be possible that they will expunge the 30-day late?

Thanks for anybody's input.

I lost about 90 points in my credit score because of this 30-day late.  I hadn't had a 30-day late in over 10 years.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: I have a new 30-day late

Im sorry if I put this in the wrong section.

Message 2 of 18
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@donkort wrote:

Hi folks,

I was stupid.  I had forgotten that one of my Capital One credit cards had an annual fee.  So I didn't pay the fee until after 30 days were up.

I called Capital One.  They said they would  "update" my credit file in a week or so.  I mentioned the 30-day late, and the person on the line stated that this would be only a "one-time thing."  I certainly hope "updating" my credit file means the 30-day late will be expunged.  If not, I guess I'd have to write a goodwill letter.

From anyone's experience, could it be possible that they will expunge the 30-day late?

Thanks for anybody's input.

I lost about 90 points in my credit score because of this 30-day late.  I hadn't had a 30-day late in over 10 years.

I have no idea what the outcome might be, but I do want to touch on your statement about not paying the bill/forgetting about it. How did that happen? I mean, how did you not receive a statement? And also not receive alerts? And not keep tabs on your account?

I know that not everyone is as obsessive about staying on top of their finances as I am, but I would've done things VERY differently so this scenario simply could not happen. Going forward, I highly recommend putting some safeguards in place. What works for me is: receiving paper statements, receiving alerts X days before a payment is due, receiving alerts if a payment is late (I've never actually seen one, but I do have that chosen for all of my accounts), and watching all of my accounts like a hawk. I log in to every single bank and credit card account frequently, even daily depending on which account it is.

I hope you're lucky and Cap1 is forgiving and this all works out nicely for you. But the bottom line is that it's up to you to make sure your bills get paid on time, so putting a system into place that works well for you, and that will prevent such an oversight from happening again, is of the utmost importance.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 18
gdale6

From what you have posted it sounds like they are going to give you a goodwill pass on it and update your file to indicate it was paid on time. Yeah a bank is likely to do this once for you, I would put in auto pay just to be safe from this happening again.

Message 4 of 18
donkort
Valued Contributor

Like I said, I was stupid.   I'm not blaming anybody else but myself.

Thanks for the advice.

I did put my account on "autopay" when I spoke to the lady.

I hadn't had a 30-day late in over 10 years; I usually keep pretty good track of my cards.   

Message 5 of 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Login into your account and set up notifications. Everbody texts these days. They can send you a text when the statement cuts. Or past due before another 30 day hits. And check your accounts at least once a week. You wouldnt leave your groceries in the car. You cant forget to check your accounts either. Hope it sticks.

Homeowner since Sept 2020. My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag. Just sharing my experiences after BK from learning here from rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 6 of 18
donkort
Valued Contributor

Thanks!

Message 7 of 18
Borealis
Regular Contributor

It sounds like you have taken precautions (auto pay) to make sure this can't happen again. Fingers crossed that your credit overlords are merciful. 90 points... ouch! 

Gardening til November!
March 2021- FICO8: EXP 549 / TU 571
July 2022 - FICO8: EXP 761 / TU 686 / EQ 682 / EQ9 716

Disco $3000 3/21 (Graduated 11/21)
NFCU cashRewards $2000 8/21 (Graduated 2/22)
PenFed Gold $6000 2/22
Chase Freedom Flex $3900 5/22
SSL: NFCU $10,000/60 mo @2.25%APR 10/21 (75% paid)
Message 8 of 18
donkort
Valued Contributor

Yep....fingers crossed.....

Message 9 of 18
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@donkort wrote:

Like I said, I was stupid.   I'm not blaming anybody else but myself.

Thanks for the advice.

I did put my account on "autopay" when I spoke to the lady.

I hadn't had a 30-day late in over 10 years; I usually keep pretty good track of my cards.   

I know you owned up to it from the get-go, I just wanted to stress how important it is to have failsafe plans in place so it won't happen again. Setting this bill up for auto-pay is a good start, but auto-pay isn't failure-proof; slip-ups, mistakes, returned payments, etc., can and do happen. So even if you put every account on auto-pay, you STILL need to stay on top of them.

Regardless of the method you use to pay an account, you need to check to make sure any payment was made on time and in the correct amount. Check your bank account to make sure the money was actually withdrawn. Check the credit card account to make sure the payment was posted correctly. And above all else, set up your auto-pay date to be several days before your due date! This will allow you some wiggle room if something does happen. You'll still have time to sort it out and fix it before it becomes overdue.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.