Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need one more secured card.

tag
tropolis
Valued Member

I need one more secured card.

I've done a lot of reading on here and I'm in the process of a rebuild.

I've got Open Sky and First Progress, I had applied for US Bank Secured but I don't believe that will be approved. Turned down for Discover and Capital One (didn't apply, but did prequalifiers and no product was available).

Credit scores vary between 480-490 now.

I have the Credit Strong installment loan where I pay 15 a month to report a 1,000 installment loan that I'll get money back from when I decide I want to end it.

I've read on here the perfect mix is 3 cards with one installment loan. I have 2 with 1 installment loan. For the life of me though, I don't know where I can get this third secured card.

480-490 credit, no Capital One, Discover, where can I get that 3rd secured card I need?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need one more secured card.

Last I knew, GreenDot was a no-Credit-check secured option you can check out. Alternatively, you do not need to rush into the accounts. You can manage what you have for six months and then check the CapOne and Disco prequals again. Go for GreenDot at that point if nothing comes up. This will give you time to establish some payment history and age on your existing accounts.

Message 2 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Last I knew, GreenDot was a no-Credit-check secured option you can check out. Alternatively, you do not need to rush into the accounts. You can manage what you have for six months and then check the CapOne and Disco prequals again. Go for GreenDot at that point if nothing comes up. This will give you time to establish some payment history and age on your existing accounts.

+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rebuild takes time. Grabbing 3 cards back to back doesnt really help much. Spreadout the apps by 4-6 months. You'll look desparate as you apply. Yes I have some good cards. But it took over 4 yrs to get there. Like @Anonymous basically said. Hold off on what you got for now. Build a history then grab a Disco in 6 months. If you start with all starter cards. Its hard to break out of that arena. Slow down some. It will all come in time. Just takes patience.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are some secured cards discussed in a thread linked in post 7 of the Scoring Primer, which is linked at the top of my signature.

From where you’re at, it sounds like you need to work on getting some derogatories removed and your only other defense is establishing positive payment history and accumulating that until those drop off.

And one correction, it requires 3 cards not to be under penalty. It requires 5 cards to get the best scores across all versions.

I think it would be great if you could get more cards right now, I just don’t know whether you can find any without allowing a little time to pass, as stated by those above.

I definitely would not advocate predatory cards. You want to avoid those cards.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wait on more cards and instead focus on managing what you have nd possibly increasing the limit. I was where you are at about 10 months ago. Haven't paid any collections yet but have maintained good use of my opensky cc.(300) Then I got my indigo cc.(300)  Next up capital one secured (200) and nfcu secured(1000)  Sitting at 615 right now was at 498. I have a car with capital one and also just got an unsecured loc from grain to get me to 5 revolving and one installment loan. Done apply and focusing on using credit responsibly and building for now. Next up paying off these collections

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done @Anonymous ! You're definitely moving in the right direction!

Message 6 of 7
Rudy1
Established Contributor

I would slow down a bit you have ok secured cards and may start to get some offers for unsecured cards soon. Also don't get a Capital One unsecured as it dosen't graduate. Though the secured card I recommend if you have your mind set on another secured card is Citi Secured it is 18 months to unsecure but once unsecured you can product change it.

>
Goal Cards:
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.