Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some advice...

tag
nymets010
Valued Member

I need some advice...

Here is the situation:

I have an unpaid auto repo that is 2 years old. The balance has inflated to 13,000. It is being reported by the original creditor still but there is a collection agency handling the account. I contacted them to settle it as it is the only thing standing in between me and my first mortgage. They offered me a settlement of 3,000. When they sent me the settlement in writing via email the settllement said 271.00!! I immediatley went online and paid it and obtained a reciept. Now the collection agency is saying that they made a mistake and wont honor it. They reversed the payment. The question i have is, since i have the settlement in writing, paid it by the date they requested, do i have any grounds to stand on? I feel like they should have to honor it even if it was a mistake. Just like when a store has the wrong price on an item, they have to honor the wrong price.I have fought with them for about a month now to no avail. Should i hire an attorney? Or is it a waste of time? Please help!! Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I need some advice...

I'd consult an attorney on that one. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.