Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I read the ruling against Midland and portfolio and I have a question

tag
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

I read the ruling against Midland and portfolio and I have a question

It mentions they must explain why they are collecting more than the charge off amount. So if the OC charged off just 400 and midland wants 800, this is something I should dispute right? I asked this before but now I see it in writing as an order by the courts.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I read the ruling against Midland and portfolio and I have a question

Interesting. I had a Midland collection for $160 (OC Verizon) delete out of the blue a few days ago off Experian. Was a nice surprise, and an extra 5 points. It still had 9 months remaining, and Midland was updating every month like clockwork. I've not checked the other bureaus yet - have to wait until tomorrow for CreditKarma to refresh (CCT is 5 days away). Anyone else here have Midland collections delete early within the past few days?

In regards to your question, it's likely no action is required. Midland may choose not to pursue the debt. However, if contacted by them, dispute it and also file a complaint with the CFPB. Midland is under the gun right now, and given the smallish amount, would likely just delete the collection.

Message 2 of 14
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

Well I had already started to dispute with the credit bureaus, the whole reporting was deceptive, but they are newer added in August. And portfolio recovery.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to find out what ruling you are talking about. Do you have a link?  My husband has debt with Midland and they are a PAIN. Even when on a payment plan. 

Message 4 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did the creditor cease to charge interest after they did their charge-off, and the debt collector is now attempting to charge interest prior to the date they acquired the debt?

Message 5 of 14
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

Message 6 of 14
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.....is there a new ruling against Midland?  Can you attach a link so we can read it and perhaps quote from it if necessary back to 

Midland.  I know that they are a pain to deal with for many people.  I finally got them off of my credit reports through filing stuff with the CFCB.......talk about $$$ spent

in CMRR.....lol

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 7 of 14
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

Robert, im not sure.  I think you helped me with this before.  The last bill i recieved from the OC had the higher amounts, i.e. 804.00 but the charge off amount on my credit report was 400.00.  I really would like to just pay about $200.00 or less to settle it out, i have already paid about $100.00 on the bill so far. 

Message 8 of 14
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

Yes approx 6.92 a letter, lol.  I have sent off about 3 of them so far.  i have included the link above

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for posting the link...interesting information.  I've paid off a few Midland debts (judgements) in my day. Now, the husband is working on his.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.