Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I rebuilt and it's all fallen apart again - starting from scratch

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I rebuilt and it's all fallen apart again - starting from scratch

How much is the loan?  If you set up a payment plan, you can hopefully get a payment that you can manage. If you took out the loan because you were having trouble paying your rent, you may need to come up with a longer term solution.

Message 11 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@haleyjen  they should accept payment plan. Dont waste too much time, because once account is forwarded for legal action, fees can get crazy.

Call them, let them know you can pay $100.00 per month and see what they say. You can offer lower than that, and that should give you some wiggle room if they say "We cannot accept $50.00, can you pay $100.00" 

Bottom line, it's better if you initiate this process and take proactive role than just wait to see how it plays out.

With judgement,  they will recoup money via garnishment or bank account lien, and that's the last thing you want.

Good luck and I hope you can put this behind you soon. 

Message 12 of 19
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Thanks all, I'll give them a call tomorrow.  I'll report back how it goes!

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 13 of 19
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

Ok, after leaving them two messages finally got a call back today.  I offered 150, they said no, wanted 250, I told them that literally wasn't possible, so they agreed to 200 a month and we review in six months.  Apparently, I have to pay their $350 dollar attorney fee?  Does that sound correct?  Thanks, all!

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One Quicksilver: $750 Merrick Double Your Line Visa.- $1000 Mission Lane: $400 Grain: $875 J Crew: $1100
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haleyjen wrote:

Ok, after leaving them two messages finally got a call back today.  I offered 150, they said no, wanted 250, I told them that literally wasn't possible, so they agreed to 200 a month and we review in six months.  Apparently, I have to pay their $350 dollar attorney fee?  Does that sound correct?  Thanks, all!

What's the total amount owed? And you don't "have" to pay the $350 attorney fees. 

Take a deep breath. Don't panic. Give us as much info as you can and we have excellent advice here that can help you make a sound decision. 

Message 15 of 19
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

5250 with the attorney's fees, 4900 without.  The original loan was for 3000.  I don't have a lump to settle with right now.

Message 16 of 19
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I would:

PRONTO be looking for a p/t position somewhere.

PRONTO be looking for items to sell

PRONTO be looking for a possible roomate.

Anything to bring in extra cash to cover what the lawfirms payment will be.   My friend got stuck in a hot mess and ended up cleaning houses.  It didn't take her long to climb out of that hole.  I HOPE you can find a viable way to earn extra money for yourself.  And sure, things happen.  Do whatever you have to do to keep a roof over your head.

Message 17 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Yeah, attorney fees are for real, which is why we harp at members to either not let it get to legal stage, or if it already happened, to start fixing it as soon as possible. 

Also, you should be aware that the current amount is not static. It will continue to increase due to fees and interest. 

I know it sounds terrible, but that's just how it is. They seem aggressive in their collection efforts, so you will need to find ways to start paying this, because the alternatives such as bank account liens and wage garnishments are by far worse. 

In terms of money, you may need to make lifestyle adjustments till this is over, or find a part time work. 

Once they have a judgement,  they usually dont stop if they believe there is a way to collect. 

Message 18 of 19
haleyjen
Regular Contributor

They haven't filed a lawsuit yet, and have agreed to 200 a month for now, and we will reevaluate in 6 months.  That's the very limit of what I can afford, but I will have to make it work as I do NOT want a judgement.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.