cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I requested debt validation & then this happened....

tag
Lynnow
Regular Contributor

I requested debt validation & then this happened....

I received a letter from the collection agency ERC stating they needed to collect $119 from a past ATT cell phone account over 2 years ago. I called ATT and they had nothing about this debt in their system. 

I sent the collection agency a DV letter on 9/12. They deleted the debt from my credit report 2 weeks later.

Fast forward to today 10/31, I received a letter from the collection agency which looks like an ATT bill (logo included) with a balance of $119 and requesting that it is sent to ATT or paid online at att.com. The date of that bill says 9/28/2020. There is no due date on the bill. That is so strange to me. Is the collection agency's way of validating? 

The debt is still deleted from my credit report. I just think this sounds a little weird since ATT cannot find anything in their system and an "ATT bill" dated 9/28/2020 came to me from the collection agency. Does this sound legit?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Re: I requested debt validation & then this happened....

I'd be suspicious as well.

Do you owe the debt? If so, you might dig a bit more with AT&T.

If not, be diligent with your requests and paperwork so you have a leg up if time comes to file a formal complaint with the CFPB/FTC.

Good luck!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 2 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The first issue is whether or not your debt validation request was timely.

A DV request must be sent within a 30-day window after sending of their dunning notice in order to be timely.

However, even if the DV were timely, it does not impose any requirement to reply.  It simply imposes  a cease collection bar, which remains in effect until they choose to send validation.  It also does not impose any requirement to delete the reported collection, so deletion was not part of the DV process.

Their reply may not be a response to your DV request, but even if it is, the issue would only be one of whether you consider it to be adequate valiation . If not, it is not  aviolation of any provision of the DV process; it would only result in your assertion that they remain under a cease collection bar.

It is unclear as to the reason for their deletion.  However, one possible reason is that the debt collector had their assigned collection authority terminated by the creditor, which under CRA reporting policy mandates deletion of any reported collection.  That is unrelated to and separate from the DV process.

If they no longer have collection authority, that would explain both their deletion of their reported collection and their instructions to contact the creditor regarding any future issues pertaining to collection of the debt.

If the creditor has terminated assignment of collection authority to debt collector 1, it might forbode a new assignment to a debt collector 2, who may then immediately report their own collection without any prior notice.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lynnow wrote:

I received a letter from the collection agency ERC stating they needed to collect $119 from a past ATT cell phone account over 2 years ago. I called ATT and they had nothing about this debt in their system. 

I sent the collection agency a DV letter on 9/12. They deleted the debt from my credit report 2 weeks later.

Fast forward to today 10/31, I received a letter from the collection agency which looks like an ATT bill (logo included) with a balance of $119 and requesting that it is sent to ATT or paid online at att.com. The date of that bill says 9/28/2020. There is no due date on the bill. That is so strange to me. Is the collection agency's way of validating? 

The debt is still deleted from my credit report. I just think this sounds a little weird since ATT cannot find anything in their system and an "ATT bill" dated 9/28/2020 came to me from the collection agency. Does this sound legit?

I had the Collection Authority revoked from the CA that Sprint used for my old account ($1600ish after fees and such for 2-3 years from original balance of $800ish) because the CA went belly up.

I contacted Sprint immediately once the CA came off my CRs to pay them before they endorsed the debt to a new CA, which they said they were working on.

The original CA did not do PFD and I believe neither would the new one, and Sprint would not recall the debt once transferred. Point being: if there is no CA on your CRs right now, I would say this is your absolute best opportunity to keep it that way by paying it if it is your debt and thankfully it is a fairly low amount. I would have paid that in a heart beat, as I did the painful $1600, to have one less CA on my CRs. Paid CAs do not improve your credit, only having them removed and not having any does, in terms of CAs.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Message 4 of 13
Lynnow
Regular Contributor

Thank you! I wouldn't mind paying the debt just to make it go away if ATT could actually locate my account. But they can't. That's why I'm so confused. im not sure if ERC (collection agency) has some shady practices or not. Then I was even more confused by the deletion. I will try to investigate as much as I can! 

Message 5 of 13
Lynnow
Regular Contributor

I forgot to mention that a seperate letter came with the ATT bill that says "This communication is from a debt collector and is made for the limited purpose of responding to your notification and is NOT an attempt to collect a debt."

The ATT "bill" sent only has the date of Sept. 28th, 2020, a ballance of $119 and has no due date. It says pay online with ATT or send payment to ATT P.O. Box. It has no outline about what dates that debt is for. Is that normal for validation? Mind you, I have been on a Verizon family plan since 2016. 

So they sent a "bill" but it is not an attempt to collect a debt? LOL

Bizarre.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lynnow wrote:

I forgot to mention that a seperate letter came with the ATT bill that says "This communication is from a debt collector and is made for the limited purpose of responding to your notification and is NOT an attempt to collect a debt."

The ATT "bill" sent only has the date of Sept. 28th, 2020, a ballance of $119 and has no due date. It says pay online with ATT or send payment to ATT P.O. Box. It has no outline about what dates that debt is for. Is that normal for validation? Mind you, I have been on a Verizon family plan since 2016. 

So they sent a "bill" but it is not an attempt to collect a debt? LOL

Bizarre.

Honestly, it sounds a bit sketchy overall. Usually Cell provders can still accept payment even when endorsed to a CA. At the *bare minimum* they should be able to pull your account, especially if it was from only 2 years ago. If it was from 12 years ago that might be a different story, but that is not the case here.

I would continue to reach out to AT&T. Did someone else use your info to set up an account, perhaps? Family/friends? Were you on a joint account for any reason? Work?

Message 7 of 13
Lynnow
Regular Contributor

Hmm I don't think anyone would use my info but you never know. I guess it's possible. But I did look up the ERC agency and there are thousands of complaints stating that the company has been harassing people for accounts they have never even had. I will try to contact ATT on Monday. Otherwise, I don't know what the next step would be. 

Message 8 of 13
Svthhvn
Contributor

If you've been with Verizon since 2016, did you have another cell phone account with ATT 2 years ago? Do you have an old bill with account # on it that you can compare to the bill sent? The one sent should have an account # call ATT with that one. See what they can find.

Message 9 of 13
Lynnow
Regular Contributor

I have not had an ATT account. I do not have any old bills from them. That's why I'm kind of stumped lol 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.