cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I screwed up HIPAA and need (more) advice. Please!

tag
TopCat99
Valued Member

I screwed up HIPAA and need (more) advice. Please!

Sorry this is so long.  I tried to condense it as much as I could and still get all the pertinent info across.

I posted back in May about a CA who has a bunch of medical collections.  I took sidewinder's advice, but the OCs said to deal with the CA.  So I DVed them.  Well, it took them forever, but they finally sent me copies of all the bills.  Unfortunately, the timing was just right--none would have been covered by insurance Smiley Sad

So, they send me "a friendly reminder" and it seems they've combined all the accounts into one.  The statement reads like:

Hopsital  A:   $xxxx.xx

Hospital  B:   $yyy.yy

Others:        $zz.zz (I dispute this non-med one)

and it has only one account number listed instead of the nine that show up on the CRs.

Being too impatient to wait another four months for a retun letter, I called them with questions.  Yes, I know...hugely bad idea.  Please try not to hate me too much Smiley Happy  But I figured I want answers before 2009 and if they were going to annoy the peanut butter out of me or sue, they would have long before now as this CA is only 15-20 miles away. The one who answered the phone in a nutshell said that they did combine "internally" and one montly payment is just fine.  However, she has no idea how it's applied (small balance first, largest first, spread out, randomly...), said they don't send out any confirmations of or other statements on payment plans anymore because it's time-consuming, and--this is the best part--it would be my responsibility to keep track of my balance and check that things get reported correctly.

I ignored all the things wrong with that and asked how they would report a payment agreement.  They don't.  Basically, as things get paid down, the CRA's would mark stuff as "Paid/was a collection" and that's it.  However, it's my understanding from the HIPAA sticky here that a paid collection goes bye-bye.

So here's my question:  if the removed-when-paid is true, would there be any reason for me not to just send a money order for each account individually to PIF (the ones I can, which is the majority) so they go away sooner?   In my theory, this eliminates any and all guesswork/games as to how a monthly payment would be applied under their quasi-consolidated billing, as well as get collections to go away sooner from the CRs.

Also, should I send the CA the PIFs or the OC?  The OC tells me to deal with the CA, but their attitude might change when they have the $ in their hands...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I screwed up HIPAA and need (more) advice. Please!

TopCat you confused me (no hard to do)  Keep all collections separate!!!  Medical is completely different then other debt!!!

A CA can not lump all collections together even thought it is easier for them!!! If a CA sends you bills or statements showing what you owe...they must have come from the OC and on the OC letterhead!

Only paid medical must be deleted!   Not other paid debt.

For medical.....I would start with the Pre-HIPAA letter.....be sure to hand address the envelope and use the colored paper written in italics (it make a difference)

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&thread.id=27537

Who told you that you had to deal with the CA?  The hospital?

Message 2 of 5
TopCat99
Valued Member

Yeah, the bills they sent me when I DVed were photocopies of the original hospital bills.  That much is legit. Where I screwed up is I had gone straight to DV without doing the pre-HIPAA stuff as I was young and stupid (read:  before discovering that part of the myFICO forums) back then.  So now I'm in "Scenario #1" but with the twist of already talking to the CA and the OC.

What confused me was when the CA sent me a single statement where ALL the collections they're handling--medical and non both--were combined into one amount with one account number.  That's why I called them.  It made no sense to me.

You answered my question, though, that once the medical ones are paid they are to be deleted.  I thought all collections, paid or unpaid, medical or regular, remained for 7 years.  This is great news as I can get rid of them earlier than 7 years Smiley Very Happy The CA told me otherwise.  She said PIF or settled, they just get marked "paid/was a collection" as anything else (i.e., non-medical) would.

Yes, the hospital said to deal with the CA.  If you think I should pay the hospital directly, I'll call back and ask again.  They recently just merged four hospitals together and the conglomo billing department is, um, still adjusting.

Message Edited by TopCat99 on 10-01-2008 07:21 PM
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

HappyDays, please correct me if I am wrong here.

The way I see this is you don't ask permission to send the PIF to the OC.  You simply send it and wait for it to clear.  Most likely, they will cash the check.  Then, depending how the contract between the OC and CA, they will most likely pay the CA.

Of course, they will tell you to contact the CA if you talk to them.  They have already been paid a few cents on the dollar for the debt.  They do not want to spend their accounting resources on dealing with you.  In the OC's thinking, they took a loss to get you out of their system.

I hope this makes sense.

Chris

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

To me the HIPAA thing is confusing and I've been trying to get it straight before proceeding.  I have 3 med collections from one CA - 2 are PIF and have been for some time and the other one is due to drop off this month.  One of those PIF is reported on DH's CR and when disputed not his, they responded that we must contact them direct, which I will not do.

I'm hearing 4 YRs for med SOL and I'm hearing once paid they should not be on report.  These are over 4 years old and paid in full. Do I need to send a letter?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.