cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I swear this debt is due to fall off! What can/should I do??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I swear this debt is due to fall off! What can/should I do??

Hey everyone! This is my first post on this forum. I am in the process of trying to get approved for a mortgage but the lender wants me to clear up 3 debts on my credit report before we can go any further. My question is in reference to one of the 3 debts. The debt was a utility bill from 2007 but it has been sold to different collections agencies at least 3 times so the date it went delinquent keeps getting bumped up on my credit report, or so it appears to be. I pulled my Experian report and it says "Past due as of Nov 2011". I know without a doubt the original debt was from 2007. Do I contact the original debtor for the exact date that it became delinquent or should I just try and negotiate a sum to pay to the debt collection agency? I don't receive calls about this debt and haven't received anything in the mail on this debt in quite sometime now (years) and to be honest have forgotten all about it until the loan company pulled my report! Thank you everyone for your help. Sorry if this is a noobish question, I haven't had time to read through all the posts and such yet to figure this out on my own but will find time to read up this weekend. Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Re: I swear this debt is due to fall off! What can/should I do??

They probably bought your account in 2011, which is why it says that, but they may not be trying to re-age it.   DV the collection agency.  If it's that old, they might not even have records on it anymore.   I got a utility collection deleted that was only 2 years old, so you may get the same for one that's 4.  Then it's off your report, and you're out no money.

If the utility company is reporting also, you could try sending them a PFD letter.  Since you're probably out of SOL, they can't sue you on it, so they may accept.  If the utility company isn't reporting, then just focus on DVing the collection agency, and if they validate, send them a PFD letter.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@seruby wrote:

They probably bought your account in 2011, which is why it says that, but they may not be trying to re-age it.   DV the collection agency.  If it's that old, they might not even have records on it anymore.   I got a utility collection deleted that was only 2 years old, so you may get the same for one that's 4.  Then it's off your report, and you're out no money.

If the utility company is reporting also, you could try sending them a PFD letter.  Since you're probably out of SOL, they can't sue you on it, so they may accept.  If the utility company isn't reporting, then just focus on DVing the collection agency, and if they validate, send them a PFD letter.  

The utility company is showing up as closed.  This debt shows up at least 3 or 4 times on my credit report with different account numbers and collectors, I'm guessing from being sold and resold a few times?  When I finally take care of this and it's either deleted due to them being unable to verify it or if I end up paying it off, will those other ones be deleted too or do I have to take care of each one separately?  Thank you for your help!  I appreciate it!

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

The CRTP and SOL is set by the OC, not the CA.  Do a direct dispute with them and ask how old the debt is.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.