cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I usually just read the threads here but now I need your help with this...

tag
DevilDawg235
Established Member

I usually just read the threads here but now I need your help with this...

First, I would to wish everyone here a happy new years as some of us are making it a priority to rebuild our credit score as part of the "new years resolution."

As the title says, ever since I discovered this amazing community a few weeks ago, all I've done is read, read and read. Learning a whole lot of things that I never knew were possible. Such as disputing things on a credit report. I just recently took the first step in rebuilding credit and that was to take out a copy of all three reports. Man was I shocked!!! There are three accounts that I have no idea where they came from. One is a collection for $19.00 from some radiology office that I never visited. The second one is a Sprint Account for $249.00 which I never owned. I've been with AT&T for quite some time now. The third is a T-Mobile Account for $507.00 which was opened in 2012. After reading many of the threads here, I have prepared three letters to send out to those collection agencies, hoping to get them removed as soon as possible.

(Feel free to make suggestions on the above matter)

This is what I really need your help with:

In my TransUnion & Experian reports, my address is wrong. TransUnion still has my mom's address back in NJ from 2003!Smiley Surprised

When it comes to disputing, can the fact that they have the wrong address affect my score? I just recently purchased the great services that myFICO offers and was able to get a 507 FICO Score. I would like to fix my credit for 2014 and start a new life with responsibilities, opportunities and a better financial future. That is why I need you guys to throw me the towel here to see what my next step should be.

I've also taken these steps as part of my mission to rebuild credit

AU: CAPITAL ONE

$500 SECURED LOAD: CREDIT UNION

Just to give you an idea, my credit report goes:

EF:507

TU: 495

EXP: 535

Thanks in advance!

Starting Score: 507
Current Score: 515
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: I usually just read the threads here but now I need your help with this...

No, an incorrect address does not affect your score.  But, you can write the CRA and give them your correct address and ask them to delete the other.

If those accounts are not yours, the best way to handle it is by filling out an FTC Fraud Affidavit http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0094-identity-theft-affidavit.pdf and a police report.  Send them both to the CRAs reporting the accounts and tell them to block them.  They have to do it within 5 business days and you do not need to prove fraud.

Then send the same forms to the CAs and tell them those are not your accounts and you would like all documents pertaining to those accounts.  Hopefully, they will delete without a hassle.

Message 2 of 19
DevilDawg235
Established Member

I'm going to start doing that right now. Is there a template that I could follow for that letter? 

Message 3 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The Fraud Affidavit and police report should be enough.  But, just say something along the lines of the listed account is not mine and I have no knowledge of it.  Please provide all contracts, agreements, payment history, etc that you have for this account, showing my signature.

They may or may not send it.  And it could take a bit of arguing with them.

Here is a good process to follow from someone who dealt with it Victim of Identity Theft?? What To Do to Protect ..

Message 4 of 19
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on taking this on! It's a huge step, but you'll feel so much better after it's over.

FWIW I started my journey in mI'd-2010 with a TU FICO of 487, and wrapped up my  rebuilding efforts in early 2013 when the last major baddie fell off and I was able to buy my first home. So, I say that to say; we've all been through exactly what you're going through, and more than happy to help.

In regards to things; do you also have any late payments reporting? Rebuilding your credit is going to take some time, so you might as well hit it from every direction at the same time. So, something as simple as trying to GW a 30-day off (while working on other items) can have a noticeable impact.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 5 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The required elements to obtain blocking of information supported by an identity theft/fraud affidavit are that you must include a copy of the ideintity theft/police report, along with proof of your identity and a statement asserting that you never authorized any such account or transactions.

Include those elements along with the statement that "This is a request under ther provisions of FCRA 605A for block of the information identified in the attachments from my credit reoort."

Message 6 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Did you get your reports from annualcreditreport.com?  That is the place to get your free report once a year from each CRA.  They are much more accurate and detailed than those from a 3rd party.

Message 7 of 19
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Also, one more thing I'll throw out there;

Life has a funny way of making you forget things. That radiology visit might not be legit, or it could be the case of having visited a hospital and not fully remembering/knowing who they outsourced their lab work to. Plus, places change names all the time.

I know that was difficult for me.

I'd spend some time reflecting over what I'd done over the past X years, dig through old emails/letters and see if (just maybe) I'd forget about something.

Heck, I can barely remember what I did last week, let alone 5 years ago... Lol.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 8 of 19
DevilDawg235
Established Member

I have written a Pay For Delete Letter for the $19.00 account in order to save me all the hassle. The Sprint & TMobile I'm willing to go all the way with...

Message 9 of 19
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@irrational wrote:

Also, one more thing I'll throw out there;

Life has a funny way of making you forget things. That radiology visit might not be legit, or it could be the case of having visited a hospital and not fully remembering/knowing who they outsourced their lab work to. Plus, places change names all the time.

I know that was difficult for me.

I'd spend some time reflecting over what I'd done over the past X years, dig through old emails/letters and see if (just maybe) I'd forget about something.

Heck, I can barely remember what I did last week, let alone 5 years ago... Lol.

Just send a request for your activity log to the NSA! lol

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.