cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've Been Rebuilding My Credit... Lost Now. What Next?

tag
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: I've Been Rebuilding My Credit... Lost Now. What Next?

@Anonymous wrote:

You don't think I need the age to get a higher starting limit @tparks5961

If you are currently re-building, a higher starting limit should not be something to concern you. 

Focus on building a history with the CCC's you are going to apply with, using and paying off a lower limit card is much easier to do, and a lot less risky.

The temptation to run that card up because you have a higher limit is usually what brings rebuilds to a grinding halt.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I agree with your statement, the advice I'm looking for is how someone in my situation would get the highest possible starting limits.

I have a strategy for my debt that has been working. I plan to stick with it, with one possible variation. I'm open to a personal loan to pay off my remaining debt because my credit profile is clean, but thin. The loan would help add a positive account and pay off discover and amex so I could possibly continue a relationship with them, while obtaining credit.

The only reason I even brought them (Amex & Discover) up is because I clearly can't obtain credit cards with them until my debt with them is settled. So I didn't want someone to suggest CCs from those companies. But they are not effecting my credit scores whatsoever at the moment.

Thanks for your reply.
Message 12 of 24
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Prosper, Lending tree and a few others will do a  SP and show you all the loans available to you.

If you do go the personal loan route that is where I would start, unless you can obtain one from your local bank or credit union.

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The only reason I even brought them (Amex & Discover) up is because I clearly can't obtain credit cards with them until my debt with them is settled. So I didn't want someone to suggest CCs from those companies. But they are not effecting my credit scores whatsoever at the moment.

Im confused as to how you can have debt with them but they aren’t on your credit report or affecting your scores whatsoever. Were they listed under your former business’s tax ID # or some similar situation?  You personal scores are very good as they stand right now- when you say higher limits what do you consider higher? $5k? $10k+?

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

15k >
10K on the low end. 

With above average income, some age, and my scores. Just trying to figure out the best route to attain the best limits starting out. I know i'll most likely end up with lower limits and have to get increases.  But like I said in the original post, I want to keep momentum, and take advantage of the best cards with the best starting limits given my unique situation. I have high scores, some history, thin file, & low debt. But can't qualify for AMEX and Discover at the moment.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so now that my story is out, any suggestions on which Credit Cards to start with based off what I said in the original post. 
Seems people are more concerned about my debt (which I have a plan for already.) Higher starting limits, non amex or discover credit cards please. 

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still looking for help with my original question. 

Message 17 of 24
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Still looking for help with my original question. 

I would suggest you get Amex and Disco paid off and out of the equation if you are able to do so.

A personal loan maybe your best move. Try sites like Lending tree and Prosper, they give you a wide range of options and only use a SP to do so.

I do not think anyone here could predict what sort of SL you will be given when you first open a new TL. 

I would think having zero debt with two major players in the credit game will certainly go a long way to improving your chances.

Best of luck on whichever direction you choose.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again, but I'm looking for a non discover or amex card to build up my credit while I pay them off. My situation with discover and amex are totally different problems from the one I'm trying to solve.

I'm paying off my debt, but I have a darn near 800 Fico, I shouldn't have to start off with a first national card, credit one, or capital one platinum?

If possible, could someone suggest a card (non amex and discover) I can start off with with?

I can handle my own debt, it's less than 5k. I don't need any advice with that. I've just been patiently waiting at this wonderful site for help, and it seems like I can't get an answer to my question, because I said something about owing them.

Please advise of credit card suggestions for my situation. Again, I appreciate it.
Message 19 of 24
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Have you looked at any of the pre-qual sites to see if anything is showing up?
You could try for the Chase CSR the min SL for that card is 10k.
However your minimum amount of CC history with any company is going to make getting a high SL difficult.
It's more than just your score that gets you the best cards and high SL's, it's your total profile that determines the outcome.
I have no more to offer at this point, maybe someone else can and will jump in.
Good luck.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.