Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've HAD it with identity verification.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've HAD it with identity verification.

I app'd and was approved for a crummy Credit One card. Suddenly, 11 days later, they can't verify my identity. They want me to snail mail docs to them. I went through this with OpenSky as well, except I was able to upload the docs to them. After sending them twice, OpenSky still couldn't verify me.
I've gotten a Fingerhut account, a secured First Progress card, and a Victoria's Secret card where they were able to verify my identity from information in my credit report. I'm not sending copies of sensitive docs in the mail to get a card I was only going to keep a year anyway. It just kills me that some card issuers can seem to verify me and some can't. I'm just going to give up and stick with the 3 I have for now. Im just too aggravated to do anything else. 😡
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: I've HAD it with identity verification.

Sorry to hear - but, it may be a blessing in disguise. Instead of that Credit One card, after your other cards age a few months, you might be able to get something better, like a Discover secured. I don't know your profile so can't really predict anything, but I don't think you're missing out on much with Credit One or anything predatory. Three cards are enough for now. You might also consider a Self Lender secured loan. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I agree I'm just going to cool it for a while. I had a preapproval which was the only reason I app'd to start with. It was a chance at an unsecured card that might grow a little. I'll just stick with what Ive got though. I'm undecided about self lender because I already have personal loans that are paid off and report with no lates etc. Would a self lender really help at this point?
Message 3 of 11
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Someone else might have better insight, but I think a current loan affects your score differently (more) than a closed/paid loan.

No big deal, though. Your three cards should help a lot in terms of moving up to the next tier of stuff as they report positive a few months.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yes FICO likes to see an installment loan along with a min of 3 revolving credit cards for the rebuild FICO bonus. Isn't too crummy if they approved you. Pull your 3 credit reports and look over them real close. Theres something that isnt matching what you put into the appplication info. A street number could be off and this can happen.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both First Progress and Fingerhut have started reporting, plus Fingerhut Fresh Start reported closed in good standing. I let both FP and FH report with high balances on purpose this month to show that I can pay these appropriately, with higher than minimum payments and the ability to pay down balances without adding more charges until the balance is paid to zero. I put a small ($40) charge on Victoria's Secret to jump start that card reporting, which I will pay as soon as it posts. Right now I'm not focused on the point loss/gain due to utilization as much as just building a strong positive history as a foundation for future credit endeavours.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though they approved me, it's still crummy. I was willing to embrace said crumminess to help my rebuild. Considering my scores, I'm grateful for crummy, but not grateful enough to mail the keys to my life halfway across the USA. Plus I'm just tired, and in a crappy mood overall so this didnt help. The credit chase makes me a little crazy.
Message 7 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Which creditor did CO try to pull? Which creditors were pulled that didnt have the creditor ask for verification. May land on only 1 of the 3 thats messed up.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

CO pulled Experian. VS was a soft pull, and I cant remember on FH or FP. I'll have to pull my reports and see
Message 9 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I feel your pain, Im sick of it to just get into online banking anymore. Am nearly ready to just have everything mailed and send in checks like I did for decades.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.