cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was added as an authorized user to a maxed out credit card. Lol!

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

I was added as an authorized user to a maxed out credit card. Lol!

So in an attempt to help me improve my credit, my mom added me as an AU to her Citibank accout with a $5500 limit. Well, I checked her account online, and she's almost maxed out. I have been working towards buying a house next year and don't want this to affect my credit. I don't think it's reported to the CRAs yet. If I ask her to remove me as an AU, how will this affect my credit? I know leaving me on her account will hurt me in the long run because I know her well!

If this account is already reporting on my credit, how will lenders look at it if it was closed immediately? Will it affect my AAoA? Will the CRAs remove it if I ask?

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: I was added as an authorized user to a maxed out credit card. Lol!

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:

So in an attempt to help me improve my credit, my mom added me as an AU to her Citibank accout with a $5500 limit. Well, I checked her account online, and she's almost maxed out. I have been working towards buying a house next year and don't want this to affect my credit. I don't think it's reported to the CRAs yet. If I ask her to remove me as an AU, how will this affect my credit? I know leaving me on her account will hurt me in the long run because I know her well!

If this account is already reporting on my credit, how will lenders look at it if it was closed immediately? Will it affect my AAoA? Will the CRAs remove it if I ask?

Have her remove you as the AU.

If it does report; just dispute as not mine. It is not yours. It will fall off.

It will not report anything that the primary user didn't do. So there is no worries to AAoA or anything like that. Worse case scenrio is it reports. Then just remove it. AUs are real easy to remove.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 3
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Re: I was added as an authorized user to a maxed out credit card. Lol!

Thanks!

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.