Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IC Systems and Cox Communications

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

IC Systems and Cox Communications

Hi everyone! Quick question, I've been reading over everyone's IC Systems posts and lots of folks are saying that once the debt is paid off that they delete the tradeline, but this is just not happening for me.

The OC is Cox Communications. The debt was maybe 2 years old, and I needed to sign back up for internet with Cox last August so I had to pay them for the debt. IC Systems is still reporting this on my credit report. I've disputed it multiple times, but they just keep posting that the account is closed, but it's not deleted.

What can I do to get this gone forever, and why is everyone else having such good luck with them? Is it because I paid Cox directly? I thought that if you pay the original creditor, then the CA can't report anymore?

Whats everyone's advice for my next steps?

They are reporting on TU and EX

Thanks for the help so far!

10 REPLIES 10
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: IC Systems and Cox Communications

Greetings,

Have you tried contacting COX and asking them to recall the debt?

It's paid so I believe they should recall it from the CA. 

CHEERS

Message 2 of 11
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

Hi I have the same issue, I have this on my husband report and it is paid, but I'd like to see if I can get it gone.

Have you tried sending a Goodwill letter? If you have any luck let me know.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you pay cox communications directly, or the collection agency? I paid cox directly. I disputed it with the credit bureaus stating that I had paid the original creditor directly and now its been removed from my reports!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I C systems owned my Comcast debt and AT&T debt and they too had it reported on my TU and EX reports.  I paid the first one directly with Comcast. Then I disputed  the collection and attached the receipt showing it was paid with the OC. It worked and was completely removed from both bureaus. 

3 days ago I walked into an AT&T store and paid off that debt. Today I sent disputes against I C via certified mail to TU and EX  with the copy of the receipt again. Fingers crossed that it works again. I sent it Certified because i'm trying to buy a house in July and I need this over and done with and I don't need them acting like they didn't get it.

Message 5 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The credit reporting agencies have a common policy, as stated several times in their common credit reporting manual and incorporated into their credit reporting agreements, that creditors and debt collectors are NOT to delete their reporting based on payment of the debt.

The CRAs have implemented that policy in order to preserve the completeness of credit report information they sell, and thus their value to their clients.

There is no basis under either the FCRA or FDCPA for requiring deletion of a reported collection based on payment of the debt, regardless of who the payment is made to.  

Any deletion after payment of a debt is voluntary on the part of the debt collector.

They might choose to delete if you have paid the OC directly, but are not required to do so, and have agreed under CRA policy not to do so.

There is separate CRA policy that instructs debt collectors to delete their reported collection if their collection authority is terminated with the debt remaining upaid.  That policy is intended to prevent multiple collections being concurrently reported on the same debt, and does NOT apply to deletion of their reporting if payment is made to the OC while the debt collector still has active collection authority.

The creditor must terminate their assignment of collection authority PRIOR to receiving payment from the consumer in order to require deletion of the collection by the debt collector. 

If you have already paid the creditor, they cannot thereafter retroactively revoke their assignment of collection authority.  It is thus too late, if you pay the creditor while the debt collector still had collection authority, to require deletion of the collection.  You must obtain a voluntary good-will deletion from the reporting debt collector.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. I'll be back here in 30 days or less to let you guys know if it's just reported as a zero balance or if it's gone for good. Either way, it's my last "baddie" and I was tired of looking at it.

Message 7 of 11
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

Let us know what happens, I'm dealing with a paid Cox one too and just want it gone...are you mailing a goodwill letter then or just disputing it through the CRAs?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I C System has been removed completely from my experian credit report. Still waiting on Transunion.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: I C systems has been completely removed from my Transunion report.

FYI: Both my experian and Transunion disputes are still pending so it feels like I C may have done this on their own. I did not send a Goodwill letter.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.