cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Theft...by a family member?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

ID Theft...by a family member?

I posted a message earlier regarding an account that I had no knowledge of.  It's reporting on all 3 CRAs, and has been reportnig since 2002.  It turns out this account was opened in my name by my father (who is now deceased) who lived in another state .  He defaulted on the account and left me with the pain and suffering of having this on my CR.  I didn't notice it earler because I have just recently gotten serious about my credit (thanks to this forum!) and have made great strides in the month or so that I have been a member. 

I contacted the OC and they connected me to the CA that is handling the account.  I finally got someone on the phone and they faxed me the contract that they have on file.  It has my name on it, but the signature is clearly not mine.  The address is not mine either, and I have never lived at this address that is on the contract.  What can I do about this (if anything)?  The account is passed the SOL, and it is due to fall off 5/09.  Should I contact a lawyer?  Do I just let this fall off next year?  I really want this off of my report because now I know for sure it's not mine! 

Any help would be appreciated. 
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ID Theft...by a family member?

Police report.
ftc affidavit of fraud

Send copies to CA, OC and CB's.

They can not report or collect if they know it's fraud- sounds like you have lots of evidence.
Sorry for your loss- but their is no one to go after.   
Message 2 of 5
Valued Member

Thanks for the info.  By doing this, will it change anything as far as how long they report this on my CR?  Will they delete this from my CR?  I do not want any kind of reset as it is scheduled to fall off next year.
Message 3 of 5
Moderator Emeritus

jay33 wrote:
Thanks for the info.  By doing this, will it change anything as far as how long they report this on my CR?  Will they delete this from my CR?  I do not want any kind of reset as it is scheduled to fall off next year.

I believe when the CRA receives the affidavit and police report they have 4 days to remove from your report.

Will not reset nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free Annual Reports, Freq. Requested Threads, 5 Things We Don't Talk About, Common Abbreviations, Where do I start?, State Resources
Message 4 of 5
Valued Member

Thanks for the help!  I got the ball rolling on this today.  Hopefully I can out this nightmare behind me.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.