Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Tax Liens

tag
taylor01
Valued Member

IRS Tax Liens

Hi all, I am in the process of purchasing a home.  I ran across this great home that is a short sale.  Anyways I ran may credit in December 09 and saw that I had two tax liens ( 04 and 05 ).  The tax liens came from me not reporting an income. In 04 I was 24 years old.  My father had property in my name ( For the future) and he was collecting rent from it.  My father always paid his bills and taxes on time.  Something happened in those two years and he or his accountant must have overlooked those items.  The rental income was not reported.  My father passed away 4-2007.  Now these taxes are coming on me.  I paid both of them off and got a release for them.  Do you believe that I can dispute these liens to get it off my credit?  If so, to who?  This are IRS liens and my local county reported them.

thanks for all you help!!!!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: IRS Tax Liens

What basis do you have for disputing them.  If they are paid and showing paid it is reporting correctly and there is nothing to dispute.

They can stay 7 years from the date paid.

You can call the IRS and see if they will remove them.  I have seen others do the same and get it done.

Message 2 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I don't see a dispute being successful to take them off your reports. Are they reporting incorrectly in any way? Do they correctly report as paid? If not, you could dispute the unpaid status.

How badly are these paid leins hurting your scores? Are your scores such that you can qualify for a mortgage? Talked with a loan officer yet?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can stay 7 years from the date paid.

Wow, I see we do agree after all!

Message Edited by JustinCase on 03-06-2010 10:03 PM
Message 4 of 17
taylor01
Valued Member

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I want to dispute these iteam to have them deleted of my credit.  I want to show/prove to the IRS that my father was the one paying the taxes on this.  I can prove that he was paying these years before and after. 

Message 5 of 17
laz98
Senior Contributor

@taylor01 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I want to dispute these iteam to have them deleted of my credit.  I want to show/prove to the IRS that my father was the one paying the taxes on this.  I can prove that he was paying these years before and after. 

we understand WHY you want to have them deleted, but you can't just dispute things that are accurate off of your reports.  it's not that simple.

Message 6 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@taylor01 wrote:

The only problem with that is the fact that they were in your name, regardless of who actually paid the taxes.

It may be a tough one getting these off for that reason.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone, I had owed taxes from 2005 for over 3,000 and in 2006 my tax refund was taken totaling over 6,000 so I thought that was the end of that, but I kept getting notices of taxes still being owed.  This year 2010 I had another 1,000.00 taken from taxes, which I was told  was the final amount owed, and later I received a release certificate, but I had never known that a Tax lien was being reported on my credit report  since 2007. Is there anything that can be done with this matter?

Thanks-

Message 8 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It can stay 7 years from date paid.  But you can always talk to them and see if they will remove it early.  (IRS or state who placed it)

Message 9 of 17
creditchild
Regular Contributor

hey all. if i set up a payment plan with the irs as long as i make my payments on time

will it show up on my credit report?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.