Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Theft Affidavit

tag
EDub357
Frequent Contributor

Identity Theft Affidavit

I filled out the FTC form for identity theft and sent it to the CRA.  TU removed the accounts in question and placed a fraud alert on my file.  EX, on the other hand, initiated disputes.  I spoke with a representative today and she told me that once the results of the dispute come back, then I can contact the OC and submit the identity theft affidavit to them directly.  It's my understanding that once a affidavit has been filed, the CRA is to block the accounts immediately and place fraud alert on report.  So since EX has decided to handle mine differently, what is my next means of recourse? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Identity Theft Affidavit

They have 4 days once receiving the form to block the information.  They are wrong filing a dispute.  If they do not take care of it I would file a complaint with the CFPB.  This is a serious violation.

605B. Block of information resulting from identity theft

[15 U.S.C. §1681c-2]
(a)
Block.
Except as otherwise provided in this section, a consumer reporting agency shall
block the reporting of any information in the file ogf a consumer that the consumer
identifies as information that resulted from an alleged identity theft, not later than 4
business days after the date of receipt by such agency of –
(1) appropriate proof of the identity of the consumer;
(2) a copy of an identity theft report;
(3) the identification of such information by the consumer; and
(4) a statement by the consumer that the information is not information relating to any
transaction by the consumer.
(b)
Notification.
A consumer reporting agency shall promptly notify the furnisher of
information identified by the consumer under subsection (a)--
(1) that the information may be a result of identity theft;

(2) that an identity theft report has been filed;
(3) that a block has been requested under this section; and

(4) of the effective dates of the block

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.