cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity theft and old collections accounts - was disputing the wrong choice?

tag

Identity theft and old collections accounts - was disputing the wrong choice?

I've really gotten myself into a bad situation and I'm unsure how to proceed. I was in an abusive relationship for many years and financial control was a very important factor. My ex is also an addict, which made for a perfect financial disaster. By the time I had the courage to leave back in 2018, I was 5 months pregnant with my son and didn't have a penny to my name--just my car and my cat moving across the country. He'd maxed out all of my credit cards and I was unable to pay the bills, so I had to let them get charged off. I found out about a year later, after being scared to look at my accounts, that he opened several more in my name and maxed all of those out, too. He never had to provide proof of income or anything--he had all my other info.

Fast forward 5 years, the debts ($14,000 total) are all due to fall off by 2026, and I'm back up to a 640 with excellent standing with my current accounts... but I'm ready to move out of state with my son, and obviously this debt has followed me. I used to be able to pay an extra deposit because of the untrustworthiness, but I can't find anyone who will take me now.

So, I took some advice from well-meaning prospective landlords to dispute all of the accounts, as a last-ditch effort to ease some of the financial burden. But I've found conflicting info online and I haven't found anything quite like my situation.  

Was this a mistake to open disputes with the 3 major bureaus? Will this reset the clock on the debts falling off? I'm finally in a position to negotiate the debt down, which I couldn't have done before, but it definitely stings to have to pay someone else's debt.

Thanks all

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Identity theft and old collections accounts - was disputing the wrong choice?

Welcome @financiallyilliterate 

Disputing accurate info wont help anything. Nothing can reset the fall off clock from the DoFD. Do you have old charge offs listed? What are the baddies.

Message 2 of 4

Re: Identity theft and old collections accounts - was disputing the wrong choice?

Thanks! I appreciate your response. That is a relief to hear. I was fortunate enough to never have a company sue for the debt--would that be a possibility now? And is there any possibility that some will remove anyway? Are there any further steps I can take without physical proof that he did this so long ago?

The accounts vary and are mostly credit builder cards like Merrick and CreditOne. There's 3 from Capital One alone. 10 total credit cards and 6 of the collections are with LVNV funding

Message 3 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Look up your SOL for the cut off date for a lawsuit in your state. Depending on age. LVNV will delete themselves off your reports after settlement or PIF. What dates were the baddies? Month/Year.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.