Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity theft

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Identity theft

Help, a cc from Bank of America shows up on my credit file. It has been charged off. Over $7,000.  I have requested experian to request statements, and addresses where they were sent.  The did not dp as I requested.  Letter sent saying account confirmed.  I have sent Bank of America a letter requesting the same, they never responded.  I want this account removed from my file. It does not belong to me.  They however removed it from my spouses record.   What can I do?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Identity theft

Welcome to the forums!

Since your question is about fixing a credit problem on your reports, I'm moving your post to the rebuilding your credit forum.

Message 2 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, did you have a police report filed yet?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mind filing a report if necessary. how will that affect my credit report?

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't mind filing a report if necessary. how will that affect my credit report?

When you dispute, the CRAs are contacting BofA and asking, "Is this valid?". Almost always the answer is "Yes" and it gets verified. If you contact the police and have them do up a police report, you can then use that police report to re-dispute and almost always the CRAs remove it. You can also send a copy to BofA or take a copy to your local bank manager (if you bank with them) and that added pressure will likely result in its removal.

Is someone has your name, SSN, etc. for BofA, then there's always the chance something else can report in the future. If so, then you can dispute those items too with that police report. You should also contact each CRA and place a fraud alert on each. This would make it harder for criminals to use your info again.

Finally, pull all 3 reports from each CRA. Look within the demographics area of each report. Look for anything that doesn't belong to you and report that to the police too at the time you call them. If your name is "John Doe" but a "Alan Smith" is showing, then that can be used to catch the bad guys. Also if the criminal is dumb enough to use another address, then maybe that'll help too. It could be that any request to BofA goes unheeded because the info is being mailed elsewhere based on the info provided by the thief.

BTW, absent the police report, it probably won't come off.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.