cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I pay a collections account not on my Credit report, can they add it later?

tag
susantrexel
Valued Member

If I pay a collections account not on my Credit report, can they add it later?

I have a couple of old collection people calling me. These are for small amounts. A WF bank account I overdrafted and the acct closed in 2016 and I never paid (about $200). there is also a medical bill for about $80.

None of these are reporting on my account as collections and they have been out there for a couple of years. Can I do a pay for delete type letter so I can make sure these don't wind up on my report?

At this point, I'm scare if I pay then they will update my credit report with the collection and the paid off amount and it will be a derog. I only have one collection on there now which is also from 2016.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: If I pay a collections account not on my Credit report, can they add it later?

I'm not sure I would admit to those amounts or pay them if they aren't reporting?!      Someone please correct me if I am wrong but if they aren't showing up and they are a few years old likely they won't report this year or a year from now etc....but if you call to pay it or to set up a payment plan then you are admitting to owing it and they can report it after?!       

Message 2 of 4
susantrexel
Valued Member

Re: If I pay a collections account not on my Credit report, can they add it later?

Yeah I find it strange. One of the collection agencies is Pl---uss--Four (don't want to spell it out). They have been sending me letters for a couple of years but have never reported the debt to any bureaus. 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Technically, a pay for delete offer applies only to information already reported, as they cannot delete something that has not been reported.

The equivalent is to make a pay for not reporting offer, where you offer to pay in exchange for their agreement not to report a collection to any credit reporting agency.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.