Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You Were Me...

tag
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

If You Were Me...

I have 9 baddies on my report and would really like them off! I have about $3000 I can throw at them, but I want to be smart about it. Luckily, the baddies are split between just three collection companies, so they may be easier to take care of than if there were more. 

I have four with Midland totalling about 1900

I have three with Portfolio Recovery totalling about 1200

And I have 2 with GLA (local medical debts) totalling about 325

Most of these collections happened (I think) around 2013, to 2014, except for the medical ones that happened in the last couple of years. I was thinking of paying the medical ones directly to the medical practices if they will let me, and then either try the hippa method or goodwill to try to get those off. 

How much do you think I can negotiate the other ones down and still get them removed? 

Any advice on how to tackle these?

Thanks in advance! 

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Re: If You Were Me...

Midland has been removing old, settled collections for a while now. If you've got a statement, just pay the amount (20-50%) they want and move on. They'll clean it up on their own.

I think Portfolio Recovery just started removing collections as well, do some searching here.

The last one, I don't know about. Search here for medical collections specifically, as I think there's a couple ways you might tackle those.

Edit: Ugh, so many edits to fix swipe typos.
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 2 of 4
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

Thank you! I kind of have analysis paralysis. I don't want to pay more than I have to, but I do want to get these baddies behind me!

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 3 of 4
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Before you do anything I would investigate the statute of limitations for your state. If the SOL has passed, you will be in a much better position to negotiate a lower settlement and still get a PFD. 

For example, I am in Florida (four year SOL) and recently negotiated a PFD with Portfolio Recovery for 40% of the balance. I believe this was only possible due to the SOL having been expired. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.