cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you are an authorized user on someones credit card will it hurt your credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are an authorized user on someones credit card will it hurt your credit?

I am an authorized user on my wifes GM card and have been since 2011. I now have my own American Express Green card, American Express Business Gold card, Wells Fargo Visa and co-signor on 2 autos with my wife. At this point is her GM card doing me any good by just being an authorized user? I have heard that the credit bureaus do not factor authorized users into a score and I have heard that they do. At this point is this card doing me any good and should I be removed from it to boost my credit? Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you are an authorized user on someones credit card will it hurt your credit?

Some credit cards report, some don't. I don't know if your wife's does.

Your credit score can be hurt if that was your oldest account.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If you are an authorized user on someones credit card will it hurt your credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Some credit cards report, some don't. I don't know if your wife's does.

Your credit score can be hurt if that was your oldest account.

Yes it will be one of the oldest credit cards. How do find out if its reporting? Thanks

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditKarma?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CreditKarma?

Thank you Emilia however I was ripped off by Lexington Law firm who owns Credit Karma several years ago and I refuse to have anything to do with there site. The site is a scam that intentionally gives you a lower score and then trys to sell Lexington Laws credit repair service. I signed up in 2011 and it cost me $99.00 intial fee and $79.00 per month on a credit card which at the time was my debit card. They disputed 1 item per month and charged me 6 months worth of services and removed 2 items that were over 7 years old at the time. They make money by stringing you along and charging you every month and only disputing 1 or 2 items at a time. Thanks for the post though, I really appreciate the response. In addition they sell your email to everyone they can and you will get spammed heavily. Thanls

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMXBlack -

Its Ok if you dont want to use CK - lots of other ways to view your credit.

When you view your CRs, does the account you are an AU show as an account for you? 

In any case, I am not aware of any bad effects from being an AU on an account, provided it is an account in good standing and the UTI is at least below 30% of the CL.

If it is not a 'positive' account and you remove yourself as an AU, your score might improve slightly.

I am an AU on two of my DW accounts and it is counted towards my total UTI.  When I view my CRs, it does show that account, so for example, I have 10 accounts of my own and 2 AU accounts from her, so it shows I have 12 accounts.  It does show 'AU' on those 2.

HTH

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

AMXBlack -

Its Ok if you dont want to use CK - lots of other ways to view your credit.

When you view your CRs, does the account you are an AU show as an account for you? 

In any case, I am not aware of any bad effects from being an AU on an account, provided it is an account in good standing and the UTI is at least below 30% of the CL.

If it is not a 'positive' account and you remove yourself as an AU, your score might improve slightly.

I am an AU on two of my DW accounts and it is counted towards my total UTI.  When I view my CRs, it does show that account, so for example, I have 10 accounts of my own and 2 AU accounts from her, so it shows I have 12 accounts.  It does show 'AU' on those 2.

HTH

Yes the GM account is listed on my credit report and has no lates and he UTI is fine

Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CreditKarma?

Thank you Emilia however I was ripped off by Lexington Law firm who owns Credit Karma several years ago and I refuse to have anything to do with there site. The site is a scam that intentionally gives you a lower score and then trys to sell Lexington Laws credit repair service. I signed up in 2011 and it cost me $99.00 intial fee and $79.00 per month on a credit card which at the time was my debit card. They disputed 1 item per month and charged me 6 months worth of services and removed 2 items that were over 7 years old at the time. They make money by stringing you along and charging you every month and only disputing 1 or 2 items at a time. Thanks for the post though, I really appreciate the response. In addition they sell your email to everyone they can and you will get spammed heavily. Thanls

I dont know where you got that info. CK is a privately held firm and LL has nothing to do with them   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_Karma

Message 8 of 9
jbsea
Established Contributor

DW has been on all my cc as a au,  she does have a morgage in her name but was unable to get a cc on her own.  After six months she was able to get a couple of amex cards and just got a slate card.  So I would say being a AU has helped a lot.  As long as the account is in good standing and low utl I would stay on it.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.