Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im about to eat a cow!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im about to eat a cow!!!!!

I just currently started rebuilding. I started settling the charge offs for less than owed. I had a lot of charge offs and some were being included in my utilization. I decided to pay down the ones affecting my utilization. 

After about a week of paying down majority of them I decided to dispute all 3 bureaus to reflect settled. I started seeing score improvements each day. 

I just now got a notification from Myfico app that my Equifax just dropped 19 points and nothing changed other than the day before the accounts being reported settled. 

Does anyone have any idea why?!!!! Im literally about to cry. 😞 

4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Im about to eat a cow!!!!!

Well first, good job on taking care of your debts.

Second, don't dispute accounts right after you pay them off. You might think it helps speed up the updates, but in fact, you're doing the opposite. In this case, you got lucky with the ones that worked, but then you see how disastrous it can turn out as well. I'm assuming your score dropped because your dispute came back verified since I'm sure the lenders are still doing housekeeping and updating their own internal reports before submitting to the bureaus to update. 

Finally, ALL (revolving) COs affect utilization. Not sure what you mean by paying "the ones affecting utilization."

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Second, don't dispute accounts right after you pay them off. You might think it helps speed up the updates, but in fact, you're doing the opposite. In this case, you got lucky with the ones that worked, but then you see how disastrous it can turn out as well. I'm assuming your score dropped because your dispute came back verified since I'm sure the lenders are still doing housekeeping and updating their own internal reports before submitting to the bureaus to update. 

Finally, ALL (revolving) COs affect utilization. Not sure what you mean by paying "the ones affecting utilization."

Thank you for responding!

I was under the impression that the ones that showed a utilization were still being calculated towards my overall utilization. Didnt realize it was all. I did however pay the majority of them off I just have small ones I just need to find more time during the day to call them and settle it. 

Once the disputes are over and say the creditor is done with their internal stuff its still possible to get the points I lost? 

Message 3 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I was under the impression that the ones that showed a utilization were still being calculated towards my overall utilization. Didnt realize it was all. I did however pay the majority of them off I just have small ones I just need to find more time during the day to call them and settle it. 

Once the disputes are over and say the creditor is done with their internal stuff its still possible to get the points I lost? 

Nope, all charged off credit cards count against your utilization because they count as maxed out accounts with a $0 credit limit. So it's important to pay them all off ASAP.

Yes you should get the points back, but it may not be immediately. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Nope, all charged off credit cards count against your utilization because they count as maxed out accounts with a $0 credit limit. So it's important to pay them all off ASAP.

Yes you should get the points back, but it may not be immediately. 

Thank you!!! That brings me so much relief! 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.