Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Need of Rebuilding Help Please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Need of Rebuilding Help Please

Hello everyone,

I often read post on here and I’ve finally made the decision to fix my credit after years of damage. I’ve tried to fix my credit by paying down balances on my active cards and I have been able to increase my low 500’s Transunion Fico score to a 628.

Now that my active card balances are lower, I think that I need to work on the negatives on my report. I’m not sure what I should work on and what will help increase my scores.

Below is a chart of my active cards (in green), my charge offs (in blue), and my collections (in red). I think that I need to work on my 2 charge offs that report monthly (Capital One $3300 and Merrick $1752). I didn’t realize until recently that they are reporting a balance every month. I’ve already been contacted by a law firm working for Capital One and pay $100 a month towards that account.

I think after the charge offs, I need to focus on my collections that are all reporting monthly. From reading the forums I know that Portfolio Recovery, Midland, and Jefferson Capital will delete once the account is paid. I haven’t tried to negotiate paying collections, but I’ve read a few posts about it. All but one collection is out of the SOL.

I appreciate all the help that I receive and all the help that I’ve already received from this forum!

Discover
Since 3/2016
$386
Amex
Since 5/2016
$788
Lane Bryant
Since 1/2015
$0
Mission Lane
Since 8/2020
$46

Victoria Secret
Since

12-2014
$14

Discover
Since 5/1988 (AU) $0
Cap One
C/O-4/2019 $3,300
Merrick
C/O -9/2017 $1,752
Daniels
C/O-1/2018 $154

Fingerhut
C/O

9-2017
$0 

First Premier
C/O

8-2013
$0

Student Loan
Since 8/2019
$5,500
TransunionXXXXXXXXXXXX
EquifaxXXXXX XXXXXX
ExperianXXXXX XXXXXX
Lates2 late in 20180 Lates1 late in 20180 Lates2 in 20170 Lates47 NEGAT38 NEGAT14 NEGAT7 NEGAT0 LatesUpdates Monthly

Jefferson Cap
Fingerhut

10/2017
$1,010

Midland
Walmart

8/2017
$1,054

Midland
Credit One

10/2017
$943

CMRE
Emerg Room

2/2018
$609

Portfolio Rec
Amazon

8/2017
$950

Fidelity Cred
 11/2018
$157
Tidewater - Car Loan  C/O
Closed 8/2015
$1,777

TransunionXXXXX X     
EquifaxXXX X X     
ExperianXXXXXX      
LatesUpdates MonthlyUpdates MonthlyUpdates MonthlyUpdates MonthlyUpdates MonthlyUpdates MonthlyUpdates Monthly     
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

Re: In Need of Rebuilding Help Please

Good morning, @Anonymous !

Welcome to the forums!

So, you have listed the lates and you have listed the collections?  NICELY DONE!

I have a series of questions for you......not toooo many!

1.  Have you recently looked at your three Credit Reports via annualcreditreport.com (or any other legit source)?

2.  Are you listing all of your "baddies" in your post from information that you have from recent Credit Reports?

3.  For the lates that you have listed on the active accounts.....where there are multiple lates.....are they consequtive lates?  Meaning, are there any 60-day lates (or more)?  I ask because a 60-day late is considered a major derogatory and moves you into a Dirty Scorecard.  They might also be tougher to remove.  More on that later.

4.  For all of the Collections listed, have you made any contact (either with the Collections Agency or with the OC - it looks like two of them are still with the OC)?  Me thinks not......you essentially answered that question in your post.

5.  For the five Charge Offs, have you made any contact?  Seems like you answered that question, too!  Outside of CapOne, no - is that correct?

6.  For one of the Charge offs, it appears that it is associated with a Collection Agency (talking about Fingerhut / Jefferson Cap).  It looks like Fingerhut sold the debt to Jefferson Cap.  Have you confirmed that?  Guessing that the answer is no.

For the various lates, I would suggest writing a so-called Goodwill Letter to each Creditor.  So, for example, write a Goodwill Letter to Lane Bryant and explain your situation when the late happened, be completely honest, take ownership, and ask for kindness and forgiveness.  It might just work!

Maybe Discover and Victoria Secrets will show you some love on one or both of the lates (assuming that there were two random lates for each....and not two consequtive months, right?)....

Generally speaking, I suggest that one first attacks the Collections accounts, if any.  And then, once the Collections are all gone, any Charge Offs.

I am interested in what others say about the Collections Accounts....you state that all but one are outside the Statute of Limitations?

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Instead of quoting I picked out what you posted and your on the right track with your plan.

"I think after the charge offs, I need to focus on my collections that are all reporting monthly. From reading the forums I know that Portfolio Recovery, Midland, and Jefferson Capital will delete once the account is paid. I haven’t tried to negotiate paying collections, but I’ve read a few posts about it. All but one collection is out of the SOL"

Yes you have it in the right order. Priority 1. The CO's are the higest ranking ding under a BK. So yes take care of those first. They affect your util %'s until they all show a $0 balance. The status CO will stay. The monthly updates will cease. To future creditors it will be in your favor that you paid your debts. Then hit the collections. JC, PRA, and Midland will delete themselves off your reports settled or paid. Although the others arent know to do PFD. Since the 1 is out of the SOL. You can go low and settle. Getting $0 balance on collections doesnt help scores. So 4 can go to pasture and the other 3 you can call and do your best at lets make a deal, plead for PFD, and get them done.

Thing is why is FP still on your reports with 8/13 as a date. Which date is that? Whats the DoFD on that account? Since its passed or close to falling off. Time for EE or early exclusion. You can call (not dispute) TransUnion ask for a supervisor and they will remove items 6 months early. Experian will 3 months early. Equifax will 1 months early. So that will remove 1 CO.

It's going to take some time to recover. Once all is done, paid, or settled. The lates remain. Your on the right path to recovery. Its good to know you want to tackle this and in time it will be a chapter in life that will pass. It will go by fast. Best of luck!

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning @HowDoesThisAllWork

I have answered your questions below 😊

1. Yes, I’ve looked at all 3 credit reports via Experian.com .
  2. Yes, these are all the baddies across all 3 reports.
  3. All of the lates on my active accounts are 30 day lates.
  4. No, I haven’t made any contact to the collection agencies.
  5. No, I haven’t made any contact on the charge offs.
  6. For Fingerhut/Jefferson Cap, no I haven’t confirmed that it was sold. Is that something I should do because it’s reporting twice now?

Thank you for the information, I will start working on the Goodwill Letters. I will also figure out a plan to start paying my collections. The amounts are very similar and around the same dates, so it won’t be hard to pick which one to start with.

@HowDoesThisAllWork wrote:

Good morning, @Anonymous !

Welcome to the forums!

So, you have listed the lates and you have listed the collections?  NICELY DONE!

I have a series of questions for you......not toooo many!

1.  Have you recently looked at your three Credit Reports via annualcreditreport.com (or any other legit source)?

2.  Are you listing all of your "baddies" in your post from information that you have from recent Credit Reports?

3.  For the lates that you have listed on the active accounts.....where there are multiple lates.....are they consequtive lates?  Meaning, are there any 60-day lates (or more)?  I ask because a 60-day late is considered a major derogatory and moves you into a Dirty Scorecard.  They might also be tougher to remove.  More on that later.

4.  For all of the Collections listed, have you made any contact (either with the Collections Agency or with the OC - it looks like two of them are still with the OC)?  Me thinks not......you essentially answered that question in your post.

5.  For the five Charge Offs, have you made any contact?  Seems like you answered that question, too!  Outside of CapOne, no - is that correct?

6.  For one of the Charge offs, it appears that it is associated with a Collection Agency (talking about Fingerhut / Jefferson Cap).  It looks like Fingerhut sold the debt to Jefferson Cap.  Have you confirmed that?  Guessing that the answer is no.

For the various lates, I would suggest writing a so-called Goodwill Letter to each Creditor.  So, for example, write a Goodwill Letter to Lane Bryant and explain your situation when the late happened, be completely honest, take ownership, and ask for kindness and forgiveness.  It might just work!

Maybe Discover and Victoria Secrets will show you some love on one or both of the lates (assuming that there were two random lates for each....and not two consequtive months, right?)....

Generally speaking, I suggest that one first attacks the Collections accounts, if any.  And then, once the Collections are all gone, any Charge Offs.

I am interested in what others say about the Collections Accounts....you state that all but one are outside the Statute of Limitations?

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @FireMedic1

Thank you for your response and encouragement, it’s greatly appreciated.

I didn’t know that the charge offs were doing so much damage. I read on this forum that people have had some success with calling Merrick, so that’s what I will do to get that balance down. I’m paying the Capital One charge off monthly, and I know that the law firm will not reduce the amount but that will eventually be paid off.

The collection that’s not out of SOL is a small medical debt, like you mentioned they may not allow PFD but I want to get the balance to $0. I will call and negotiate the other collections.

For FP, I tried to paste the screenshot, but I couldn’t figure out how to, hopefully I explain it correctly. I also noticed that I put the wrong opened date, I've corrected it here.  Date Opened 3/2013 Account Status Closed Payment Status Paid Satisfactorily Status Updated 2/2014 Balance - Balance Updated 2/2014 CL $200 Highest Balance $304. Should I still call to have it removed? It doesn't show a DoFD. 

Message 5 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Look at the account. What was the month/year of the first late that led to the CO? It will be a 30 day late and so on.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 

There are no lates reported on the account, the payment history is from 2013-2014 and all of the payments say on time. 

Message 7 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FireMedic1 

There are no lates reported on the account, the payment history is from 2013-2014 and all of the payments say on time. 

Well heck if no lates are showing. They must have fallen off and the way you posted it in blue as a charge off. Yes call as I posted above and ask for early exclusion from the CRA's. That one can go on down the river. It served its time.

Message 8 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi @FireMedic1

Thank you for your response and encouragement, it’s greatly appreciated.

I didn’t know that the charge offs were doing so much damage. I read on this forum that people have had some success with calling Merrick, so that’s what I will do to get that balance down. I’m paying the Capital One charge off monthly, and I know that the law firm will not reduce the amount but that will eventually be paid off.

The collection that’s not out of SOL is a small medical debt, like you mentioned they may not allow PFD but I want to get the balance to $0. I will call and negotiate the other collections. Are you able to go by the med place and pay them in exchange for recalling the debt?

For FP, I tried to paste the screenshot, but I couldn’t figure out how to, hopefully I explain it correctly. I also noticed that I put the wrong opened date, I've corrected it here.  Date Opened 3/2013 Account Status Closed Payment Status Paid Satisfactorily Status Updated 2/2014 Balance - Balance Updated 2/2014 CL $200 Highest Balance $304. Should I still call to have it removed? It doesn't show a DoFD. 

Charge offs are figured into all your revolving accounts util%'s as if they were open. Actually as a 100% maxed out credit card. So when they are done and reflect a $0 balance. They will longer go against your open accounts util %.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 

It was posted in the section with other charge offs, so maybe that's where I got confused. Lol, I will call to get that one removed. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.