Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Shock with Kohls

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In Shock with Kohls

I hope posting this before I get my new card doesn't jinx me. Smiley Very Happy I had an account that I opened in 1999 but due to stupid life choices, I got behind on payments etc and it was closed I believe in 2004. The history prior to that of course is a nightmare, but it's my 2nd oldest tradeline as I mentioned in another post. Since I had good luck with gwing other errors on my account, I decided to call corporate and see if any decision makers could reopen and retain my same history. The first person I talked to said to go to the store and apply and they'd combine. That sounded fishy so I called the store, talked to a manager and found out that that wasn't correct. He gave me another number to call.

The lady there said that they'd have to pull my credit to see if I was able to reopen. I said sure, figuring I had more to lose by the negative account remaining the way it was than the few points the inq would bring. I got approved for a $500 cl!

Today I called the 800 number and put my SSN in. It said the same thing. I wanted to verify with CS that the history of account opening in 1997 would be kept. She looked over the account and had to call a sup over. I don't know what the issue was but there was a note in the account. They got rid of it and ended up giving me a $1000 CL instead, on the old account with the old history. I know store cards don't carry a lot of weight, but if I just put no more than $50-$100 on to reactivate it and then pay a good part before the statement cuts, then all but another $10-15 before the due date, then PIF next month, will that help me scorewise?

Also, after several months of good history, I want to try and gw them for the crappy history in 2003-2004. I don't need much often at Kohls and am trying to cut back on extras, is it better to show several months of using then paying off before I approach with gw or is one month of using and then taking 2 cycles to pay off the balance and having a 0 balance after that ok?

Thanks so much! I love these forums!

Message Edited by Kareninaz on 07-24-2008 12:26 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In Shock with Kohls

Congrats on the new account. I would keep it in very nice shape for a few months before attempting to GW. In your letter you can then tell them how well you have maintained your new account and to thank them for allowing you a second chance. See if they will then 'reward' you by deleting the old lates.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! I just came up with another idea too. I'll get it by the end of July, hopefully. I'll use it in Aug, pay the rest in Sept. If I can't find any Christmas presents to get for people there, I'll go shopping with my mom when I'm home for Christmas. I can do this. It's sooo hard to wait to be patient for all of these changes to post to my cr.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know the feeling. I am the worse when it comes to patience!! Just keep at it, it WILL pay off.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow,  I wonder if this would work with other stores.

Did this card ever go into collections?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I don't remember but I don't think so. It was so long ago that I've forgotten.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats-

DW wife got upgraded to MVC today on her Kohl's
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats to your wife! Granted, I'll see when I go to the store, but is MVC most valuable customer? 
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep-
She now gets 18 of those "special" offers a year.

It's only been open <3 months- PIF twice.  

Kareninaz wrote:
Congrats to your wife! Granted, I'll see when I go to the store, but is MVC most valuable customer? 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.