cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect charge on one out of the three credit reports, what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Incorrect charge on one out of the three credit reports, what to do?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere else. A little over a year ago, I had an account go to a collection agency. As soon as I was able to, I payed off the bill. Rather than going through the collection agency, I paid off the bill with the original creditor. I know that the collection agency received notice of the payment, because they updated the amount owed to zero on two of the three agencies, but the third agency never updated the balance owed. 

I notified the credit agency of the mistake, and I filed a dispute. I wasn't asking for the entry to be removed completely, just for the correct balance to be shown. After a month, I finally received an e-mail informing me that the collection agency won the dispute. I contacted the collection agency, and they informed me that it "must have been an error", and that they would update the information "within 30 days". That was 2 months ago, and the error remains. neither the collection agency or the credit bureau seems willing to correct the error.

What can be done, if anything, to correct the error?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Incorrect charge on one out of the three credit reports, what to do?

What I would do is write a letter to the CA asking for a goodwill deletion of the account off all the CRAs and if they refuse this and still do not correct their entry then a BBB complaint on the CA would be in order. You want to exhaust all avenues of working with them before filing any compaints. Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I'll try that first.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Failure to promplty  correct information that has become inaccurate is a violation of FCRA 623(a)(2).

Once you have disputed under FCRA 611, lack of correction is thereafter treated as a lack of reasonable investigation of your dispute.

Violations of the statute can be addressed by way either of complaint to the CFPB or by bringing your own civil action.

BBB complaints are informal, and are generally used when there is no actual violation of the statute, but rather you assert there is nonetheless an unfair business practice.

I would treat as a statutory violation of the FCRA and begin with a formal complaint to the CFPB for lack of a prompt update under FCRA 623(a)(2).

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.