Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry... What should I do?

tag
mebell
Regular Contributor

Inquiry... What should I do?

So I just received my latest CR from EQ and found that I have 1 inquiry in the past year that could be hurting my score. It is listed as Kelley GMC Inc. I looked it up on the computer and found out that it is a car dealership that is in Bartow, FL which is an hour away from where I live. I have never been to that dealership, and never authorized any dealership to do a credit check. I'm not even in the market for a vehicle. Is this inquiry hurting? Is there anything that I can/should so about it? I'm not sure why I would have an inquiry unless someone possibly entered the wrong SSN when doing a credit check?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Starting Score: TU 629 6/2013
Current Score: TU 697 (March'14) EQ 688 (April'14) EX 693 (March '14)
Goal Score: 700

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Inquiry... What should I do?

INQ's will stay on your CR for 2 yrs, only affect your score for a yr. You can call the dealership and explain to them you never been there. Did you fill out an online application? Those can authorize the dealer to check your credit. 

DaBears

Message 2 of 4
mebell
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response! No, I never filled out an app online. I have not filled out any type of credit app for a vehicle/CC/loan/etc. And again, never have been to that dealership. Are they able to remove that or do I dispute it with the CRAs? Or am I stuck with it. It clearly is something I did not authorize and it is on my report?

Starting Score: TU 629 6/2013
Current Score: TU 697 (March'14) EQ 688 (April'14) EX 693 (March '14)
Goal Score: 700

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Call them and tell them you never authroized them to run your credit. they will have to remove the INQ. they might make you fill something out as well. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.