Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest Fees eating up payments, working to lower balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interest Fees eating up payments, working to lower balance

I have a high-interest credit card due to rebuilding my credit after bankruptcy.  However, I have been making payments on time and paying over the minimum but I noticed my fees are eating up the progress of paying down the balance.  What should I do so the payments I make actually work toward lowering the balance?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interest Fees eating up payments, working to lower balance

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a high-interest credit card due to rebuilding my credit after bankruptcy.  However, I have been making payments on time and paying over the minimum but I noticed my fees are eating up the progress of paying down the balance.  What should I do so the payments I make actually work toward lowering the balance?

Well let's get the obvious out of the way.....pay more.  I don't know what card you have but you may be able to call in to get a temporary APR reduction.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for replying, I am paying what I can.  I have a child in college so I am doing the best I can to work to lower the balance.  I do plan on contacting the credit card company to see what they can offer.  As I hate to keep making payments and most if it is going up in smoke towards fees that really don't help the customer nor the account.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like PP said, pay more.

Who is the creditor? Some offer reduced interest rates during hardship.

Other options depending on your credit include taking out a personal loan with a lower interest rate and paying off the high rate card. Just make sure you don’t use the card again until the loan is repaid.

Or

If you qualify for a new card with an introductory 0% APR offer for balance transfers and you can pay it off during the offer period that would save a lot of money.

However, these options could lead you into more debt if you’re not careful. A savings is essential for situations such as this.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.