Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting conversation with NFCU

tag
PicoFico
Frequent Contributor

Interesting conversation with NFCU

So I got a secured cc with them that arrived today and i called in to ask about my billing cycle. Eventually it came up that i'm in a rebuild/building phase of credit and I learned that:

1) they report 3 days after the due date, so to show any activity with to lenders with this card i'll have to carry a balance

2) it was suggested the best 'unofficial, but one they used' method is to let 10% utilization post to my account then pay minium balance until its paid off, rinse/repeat.

I now have 3 cards all with $500 limits on a thin file.

1 Disco

1 Cap One

1 NFCU

Disco and Cap One both report on statement closing date, so managing what's being reported is quite easier really.  Until I called NFCU, I was going to let 1% report each month, each card. Now I'm not sure how to approach this. AZEO, idk?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, advice? Anything is welcome to strategies at this point.

Lastly, I don't have an installment account on my file so an SSL is in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by,

PicoFico

Rebuild start: 5/15/19

Financial Institutions:
Wells Fargo | NFCU | Penfed
Products:
Discover It CB $2.1k | WF Propel $22.5k | PenFed PCR $20k | NFCU Platinum $10k | NFCU More Rewards $25k | NFCU Flagship $30k | NFCU CLOC $500 | NFCU SSL 60mo | NFCU Auto loan

1 REPLY 1
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Interesting conversation with NFCU

@PicoFico wrote:

So I got a secured cc with them that arrived today and i called in to ask about my billing cycle. Eventually it came up that i'm in a rebuild/building phase of credit and I learned that:

1) they report 3 days after the due date, so to show any activity with to lenders with this card i'll have to carry a balance

2) it was suggested the best 'unofficial, but one they used' method is to let 10% utilization post to my account then pay minium balance until its paid off, rinse/repeat.

I now have 3 cards all with $500 limits on a thin file.

1 Disco

1 Cap One

1 NFCU

Disco and Cap One both report on statement closing date, so managing what's being reported is quite easier really.  Until I called NFCU, I was going to let 1% report each month, each card. Now I'm not sure how to approach this. AZEO, idk?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, advice? Anything is welcome to strategies at this point.

Lastly, I don't have an installment account on my file so an SSL is in the near future.

Thanks for stopping by,

PicoFico

You were told wrong 

The right part is that at least one of your cards should report a balance. Once it's reported, you pay in full before due date

Carrying a balance does not help with "building credit". 

Also, no clue where the rep came up with 10%

If you're interested in maximizing your scores, it should be under 9%, but anything below 29% is acceptable. 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.