cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid Collection

tag
JellyMuscle

Invalid Collection

Got notice on Equifax the other day a collection had shown up. In looking into it this is from 2015. We left T-Mobile in 2015, ported to Verizon and Verizon sent a prepaid gift card (based on our final T-Mobile bill) to zero out our balance. When the prepaid Visa arrived we did just that, zeroed it out and moved on with life. 

Now 7 years later T-Mobile claims we owe them $1,500 from 2015. First time I have ever heard of this. First time it has ever shown up on our report. Collection agency says it is valid. I know with 110% certainty I paid the debt off with the Verizon prepaid card...but of course I did not save a final statement from T-Mobile from 7 years ago and this is decimating our credit score and is so wrong on so many levels. 

We worked hard to clean up our credit over last 10 years and have enjoyed being in the 750's the last 2-3 years. I am at a loss for what to do as I don't have proof I paid this off and know for certain this debt is not valid in any way as we have not let a bill even go 30 days past in over 7+ years. 

What can I do about this. Disputed with Experian and they deleted. Disputed with Equifax and they are saying it is valid. Help?!?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Invalid Collection

When in 2015 did this occur? Because this year any negatives from 2015 would fall off anyway. Maybe it's already past the reporting period.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
JellyMuscle

Waiting for the itemized bill - but from what I can see I paid my last regular monthly bill in Aug 2015, and joined Verizon in Sept 2015. So 7 years this August. But they are just now posting the collection as 2022 - on a 2015 bill - that was zero. Feel like Inception thinking this all through. 

Message 3 of 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

So yes, your report will say the collection was "opened" this year, but note that that simply means the collection account itself was acquired/opened this year. The 7 year exclusion (fall off) period still goes off the DOFD of the original account, thus, the original account (if it's still showing) and the collection will BOTH fall off in August this year regardless. You can ask all 3 bureaus for EE (early exclusion) since you're within 3 months of it falling off naturally though. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.