cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 4 credit cards and 4 installment loans too much?

tag
Wsvance
Established Member

Is 4 credit cards and 4 installment loans too much?

I just became bk discharged on 10/30. 

I was approved for 4 cards, two of which are secured. All have high interest rates except my bank issued.  I don't want to over extend myself or do more than necessary, but I thought this would help give me a thicker file and credit mix.

4 installment loans, all secured credit builder loans that equal $100 monthly total.

Is this overkill? Will it help my score more, say a year from now, as opposed to starting with one card and one loan?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is 4 credit cards and 4 installment loans too much?

Thick file is nice IMO.

Let those accounts stew and you'll fare better in the future

Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You actually need 3 revolvers to drive your Fico so you are fine there with 4. 1 installment is all that is necessary I would close out 3 of them over the next few months as you really are wasting money on interest with the excess ones. Welcome to myfico Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

The 4 installments is definitely overkill, IMO, but the 4 cards is fine.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 6
Wsvance
Established Member

Thanks everyone so far for replying. Im considering canceling the $2,500 Credit Strong loan because its a 10 year term and over that time accumulates over 1,100 in interest. I don't anticipate needing the installment that long anyway.

Wouldnt it be useful though for business lines later as personal guarantee?  Also it gives free FICO score so maybe thats worth 30 a month when bundled?

Im keeping the 2year 22/mo $500 installment from my bank as the interest is super low and at least it'll help build my credit with them. I also have their credit card. 

I have a self lender account connected to my secured card with them so I can't cancel it.

Last one is Kikoff, which costs me nothing. 

Opinions on this move?

Message 5 of 6
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

Ditto what others have said.

With regards to helping your chances as a personal guarantor for a business loan in the future: IMO, yes it likely would help when it comes to a manual underwrite seeing the larger loan amounts, but the underwriter will likely also know they are secured. As far as your scores go, the initial loan amount has no impact on your scores...what does impact them is length of account history and balance in relation to initial loan amount.

Best of luck going foward! You have a great foundation and just need to build on it!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.