Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is West Asset Trying to Trick Me?

tag
ABattle
Regular Contributor

Is West Asset Trying to Trick Me?

So w/i the past week I received two letters from them one to my MIL address & one to mines.  The one sent to my MIL address states that "this letter is a reminder that your payment of $40 is due on or before 9/17/10.  This payment plan is offered as a courtesy & I want to thank you in advance for your cooperation......".  Then I get one at my house in the mail yday stating "the letter is to notify you that your payment of $40 is now later.  As a courtesy our office approved a payment plan due on or before 9/17/10.  That payment plan is now in default & it is therefore critical that you contact our office today".

It says that is for a hospital bill w/a date of service 9/1/03.  I DIDN'T CONTACT THEM TO SET UP A PAYMENT PLAN & THIS IS THE FIRST I'VE HEARD ABOUT THIS ACCOUNT.  I had two accounts w/them for small dollar amounts that fell off last year.  These aren't on my credit report, so I'm wondering exactly what they're up to. 

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Is West Asset Trying to Trick Me?

Were the letters address to you, by full name?

Would you have put your MIL's address as an emergency contact?

Is there a chance someone else in the family has a similar name and there was a mixup?

Since they have sent the letters, DV them.   I'd also have the MIL return anything that arrives at her house for you, from them, as RETURN TO SENDER - ADDRESSEE UNKNOWN.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
ABattle
Regular Contributor

IOBA--Yes the letters were addressed by me & it's very well possible that I owe this account.  What's in question is if the SOL have expired & why have they came out of the blue on me.  I haven't contacted them at all, made no payment arrangement & actually I just received a call from them today which I promptly hung up.  This is nowhere on my credit report that I pulled today.  So, I'm just not sure what they're up to is all.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the amount we talking about ... no difference for legal purposes.  If its past Credit reporting fcra than you can dv them.  If you pay them you will reset the sol on the debt itself.  You probably should dv them.  If you paid them after the dofd at any point you need to find out the most recent payment for your own records because this is what the sol is based off of.  If your last payment is beyond the sol for debt collection in your state than rest easy.

Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would not play around with a DV letter alone.  Sure, send them a DV, but also do a drect dispute with theM under FCRA 623(a)(8)

Message 5 of 11
ABattle
Regular Contributor

According 2 the letter its a $900+ bill. This is my 1st time hearing of this account when I got the letter. The letter is stating I made a payment arrangement w/this on the 15th of this month but that never happened. I will send them the dv letter especially since they obtained my cell phone number somehow.
Message 6 of 11
ABattle
Regular Contributor

Robert-how would I file this dispute?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may not be due to fall off your reports just yet you can maintain a copy of your EQ to get the exact dofd.  However if you haven't paid the hospital/care giving facility and you haven't paid a CA in relation to the debt than you are most likely past the suing sol for debt collection and you can use sol as a defense.  There's only like three states that have an sol of ten years but i would double check if i were you but I am cautious.

Message 8 of 11
ABattle
Regular Contributor

Daboss-- it isn't on any of my credit reports at all.
Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Address this to the party who posted the disputed information:

“This is a notice of direct dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have posted to my credit file.

“In my compliance with FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), this notice includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:

(specify the account(s) numbers, both OC and CA account identifications)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; make sure to include,

as part of your documentation, a copy of the portion of your

recent credit report showing their reporting)

“Under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(E), you have the duty to review all of the information in my notice of dispute, and to complete your investigation, and report back to me within 30-days of my notice of dispute..”

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.