Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it Wise to hire a lawyer

tag
DR527
Regular Contributor

Is it Wise to hire a lawyer

I’m getting somewhere with a few of the baddies left on my report. But Capital One and Verizon are brick walls. I’m wondering if I should fight it in court. Version is in my name. But should belong to my landlord. I have a lease agreement that proves it. But no one there cares. And Capital One is reporting incorrectly on all three of my wife’s credit reports? They don’t seem to worried about fixing it. I have made disputes with all three credit bureaus. It they seem more concerned with making the creditors happy. Not sure at this point I could make it worst. But asking all the same. Has anyone used a lawyer to send letter on their behalf? Is their a bigger problem by doing this that I’m not seeing?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is it Wise to hire a lawyer

@DR527 wrote:
I’m getting somewhere with a few of the baddies left on my report. But Capital One and Verizon are brick walls. I’m wondering if I should fight it in court. Version is in my name. But should belong to my landlord. I have a lease agreement that proves it. But no one there cares. Are you saying you had FIOS in a rental that the lanlord provided but you had to pay the bill?
And Capital One is reporting incorrectly on all three of my wife’s credit reports? Need more details. Whats being reported incorrectly?
They don’t seem to worried about fixing it. I have made disputes with all three credit bureaus. It they seem more concerned with making the creditors happy. Not sure at this point I could make it worst. But asking all the same. Has anyone used a lawyer to send letter on their behalf? Is their a bigger problem by doing this that I’m not seeing?

Need details to a more indepth situation on the above. Then lets see what you got so we can help.

Message 2 of 15
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@DR527 wrote:
I’m getting somewhere with a few of the baddies left on my report. But Capital One and Verizon are brick walls. I’m wondering if I should fight it in court. Version is in my name. But should belong to my landlord. I have a lease agreement that proves it. But no one there cares. And Capital One is reporting incorrectly on all three of my wife’s credit reports? They don’t seem to worried about fixing it. I have made disputes with all three credit bureaus. It they seem more concerned with making the creditors happy. Not sure at this point I could make it worst. But asking all the same. Has anyone used a lawyer to send letter on their behalf? Is their a bigger problem by doing this that I’m not seeing?

Verizon wasn't a party to the lease - and because of that they aren't bound by that, hense why they could care less - if the Verizon account was in your name (sounds like it) you'll need to satisfy them (i.e. pay them) and then turn around and sue your landlord because according to your lease the landlord was responsible (make sense?)

Was your wife a co-borrower for Cap1?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

First file complaints with the CFPB.  Google for how.

It's easy and free and they may get results.

Message 4 of 15
DR527
Regular Contributor

Yes the FIOS was something that was included in my rent. But the unit I moved into was never set up for it (no idea). I was asked to order the parts and that Maintenace would hook everything up. And like a idiot in a hurry I did. Once we moved out the box and equipment stayed natural with the place. And we collective up a bunch of debt (missed payments & equipment) because we weren’t living there. Never know anything about it until it showed up as a charge off. And we fought it got no where. But ultimately just decided to pay it , bout a year ago. We were able to return the equipment after explaining it to the landlord. Which brought the overall debt down. Lucky no one was in the unit. Old landlord has given me a letter stating everything I told them. And I had my current landlord write a letter of when I moved in to back my story. No one at Verion is interest in hearing that. Because the account was set up by me. I can’t get anyone to do anything about it. “Oh the accounts paid in full thank you soo much.... click”. Capital One is a on going communication issues between us them and the credit bureaus. And they just seem to care more about not upsetting Capital One with me bugging them then they do about fixing it.
Message 5 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@DR527 wrote:
Yes the FIOS was something that was included in my rent. But the unit I moved into was never set up for it (no idea). I was asked to order the parts and that Maintenace would hook everything up. And like a idiot in a hurry I did. Once we moved out the box and equipment stayed natural with the place. And we collective up a bunch of debt (missed payments & equipment) because we weren’t living there. Never know anything about it until it showed up as a charge off. And we fought it got no where. But ultimately just decided to pay it , bout a year ago. We were able to return the equipment after explaining it to the landlord. Which brought the overall debt down. Lucky no one was in the unit. Old landlord has given me a letter stating everything I told them. And I had my current landlord write a letter of when I moved in to back my story. No one at Verion is interest in hearing that. Because the account was set up by me. I can’t get anyone to do anything about it. “Oh the accounts paid in full thank you soo much.... click”. 

You would wasting your time and money on this one with a lawyer, you set it up in your own name and you are responsible for its payment that is the law. In the future if something like this happens again you need to have the account transferred into the landlords name for your responsibility to pay to be negated. You need to send request to have it GW off your CRs, I would send the letter to the office of the CEO and explain what happened its the only shot you have of getting rid of the TL.

Capital One is a on going communication issues between us them and the credit bureaus. And they just seem to care more about not upsetting Capital One with me bugging them then they do about fixing it.

Since you are not getting satisfaction as stated, file a complaint with the CFPB.  http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 6 of 15
DR527
Regular Contributor

Already wasting my time. I’ve been trying to remove it for a year now.
Message 7 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would never state outright that you should not consult an attorney.

I would at least have an attorney review your lease and offer an opinion as to who the account owner should be in view of the lease agreement wherein they agreed they were responsible for the basic debt.  

You may likely find that they only assume responsibility for payments, and not for the equipment or other overages above basic services, and thus require the account be in your name, but I would still have an attorney review your contract and offer an opinion.  There may be pertinent case law relevant to your situation......

Message 8 of 15
Lurker22
Frequent Contributor

@DR527 wrote:
Already wasting my time. I’ve been trying to remove it for a year now.

That's only because you're targeting the incorrect person/company, sue the landlord in small claim court to recover what you were forced to pay Verizon 

Message 9 of 15
DR527
Regular Contributor

but how do I get it removed from my report?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.