Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it a smart idea or not??

tag
firemartinez1980
Regular Contributor

Is it a smart idea or not??

I paid 4 accounts a few years ago that were collections. Now they show on my credit report as "Closed - Paid in Full". Would it help to dispute these and have them removed from my report or should I just leave them alone?

3 accounts were credit cards and 1 account was an auto loan. All Paid in full

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Is it a smart idea or not??

Disputing them will not get them removed they will just be updated. You can contact those creditors to get a goodwill Removal but disputing will get you nowhere and may actually hurt you.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 2 of 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Is it a smart idea or not??

@firemartinez1980 wrote:

I paid 4 accounts a few years ago that were collections. Now they show on my credit report as "Closed - Paid in Full". Would it help to dispute these and have them removed from my report or should I just leave them alone?

3 accounts were credit cards and 1 account was an auto loan. All Paid in full

There is nothing to dispute there. They are reporting correctly. 

PFD probably will not work in your case, as you already paid, so there is no incentive for collection agency to remove. 

Good news is, if you do not have any more unpaid collections or COs, your scores can start recovering as those are no longer reporting. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.