cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it advisable to pay with debit card to debt collector ?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Is it advisable to pay with debit card to debt collector ?

Is it advisable to give debit card information to pay to the debt collector ? Or should I pay by check so there is a paper track for the payment.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is it advisable to pay with debit card to debt collector ?

gdale won

Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Never pay a debt collector with a debit card or a personal check you dont want them to have your banking info. Certified check or credit card only.

Message 3 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I would do what gdale stated. I may need a whole giant roll of aluminum foil, but I don't trust collection agencies. 

I am pretty sure some are trustworthy and play by the rules, but I would hate to find out the hard way which ones do not 

Message 4 of 5
OmarR
Established Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I may need a whole giant roll of aluminum foil, but I don't trust collection agencies. 

I am pretty sure some are trustworthy and play by the rules, but I would hate to find out the hard way which ones do not 

You definitely do not need any foil. My brother did collections for about 10 years and he taught me to never, never, never write a personal check to ANY collection agency. He would advise all his friends to close out those accounts if they had already made that mistake.

He told me the biggest offenders were the ones that didn't record their phone calls. And out of the ones that did, the recordings were "accidentally erased" or recorded over really quick. It was your word against theirs whether or not you authorized multiple payments over the phone. Of course, they were just pulling the routing & account numbers off of the checks that you mailed for a one-time payment.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.