cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to be an AU with Amex if CO w/Amex?

tag
800Hopeful

Is it possible to be an AU with Amex if CO w/Amex?

Hi ya'll, so I have a $10k CO with Amex that's now 7 years old. Just fell off my credit report but Amex still won’t approve me for a card and I suspect never will because of the past due balance that will stay on their records forever. They even denied me to be an AU on a family member’s Amex recently. I’m assuming Amex will never give me another card until I pay my $10k balance in full, but does anyone know if I settle with Amex for less than full balance will they then allow me to be an AU? Because I’ve received offers from them to settle for about $1,900 of the $10,000.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is it possible to be an AU with Amex if CO w/Amex?

If you don't pay them the full balance you may have to wait a very long time for AMEX to eventually let you back in. Taking a settlement may help shorten that length of time but there will still be a waiting period before they give you another card. I'm assuming this extends to being an AU on another person's account as well. The computer will more than likely auto-deny being added on the card. They have a long memory so if you settle still be prepared to be denied and check in periodically to see when they will eventually approve you. More info/data can be found here. It's 2-3 years old but still relevant

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Amex-Blacklist-Data-Points/m-p/5282955

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.