cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it wise to pay debts from the same collector in piecemeal or in full?

tag
jenngivitis

Is it wise to pay debts from the same collector in piecemeal or in full?

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the beginning stages of attempting to set my debt straight (after talking myself out of paying someone to do it for me) and I have a question regarding a single debt collector that has multiple accounts listed for me. I had a child two years ago and I wasn't financially prepared to take on the debt and I wasn't accustomed to handling business for myself, so I'm making up for it now. One of the debt collectors has debts listed for me from three separate medical entities in the amounts of $111, $184, and $1512. I can afford to pay the first two, but not the third and I was going to attempt a PFD. Should I wait until I can afford to pay them all or would I be able to risk paying the first two just so that I can reduce the number of open collections that I have? All of the debts are within the SOL, so would I be risking being sued by the debt collector?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is it wise to pay debts from the same collector in piecemeal or in full?

I would pay the 2 and then do a GW.   Let them know that you will pay or even make payments to them on the 3rd bill that at this time you don't have the funds to pay the balance.  You are still in the SOL so they have the control, giving them an ultimatium is not going to work and could possibly sue you.... Who is the collection agency you are dealing with?

Message 2 of 4
jenngivitis

@cjane1 wrote:

I would pay the 2 and then do a GW.   Let them know that you will pay or even make payments to them on the 3rd bill that at this time you don't have the funds to pay the balance.  You are still in the SOL so they have the control, giving them an ultimatium is not going to work and could possibly sue you.... Who is the collection agency you are dealing with?

Receivable Recovery. Any experience?

Message 3 of 4
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Never heard on them, I looked up on Yahoo and not much there either. You may want to post new message to find out if anybody's had luck with GW's from company.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.