cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth disputing a HP on your credit report?

tag
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Is it worth disputing a HP on your credit report?

I was looking at the different HP's on my various credit reports and on my EXP report there's a HP from a CA.  It happened in between the period when I first talked with my BK lawyer and she told me to stop paying the bills and when the BK actually got filed.  You can't dispute this online through the CRA, I would have to call to do it.  My question is, is it worth the time and effort to dispute it?  I mean, of course I never gave them permission to do the pull, but I don't know if they were legally allowed to do so.  Would it even be worth doing?  Would it have THAT MUCH of a positive help to my score?  Or should I just ignore it and let it go?

BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is it worth disputing a HP on your credit report?

A legitimate debt collector has permissible purpose to make a hard pull if it is directly related to a legal effort to collect a valid debt.

If you can make a solid argument that they did not own or were otherwise legally entitled to attempt to collect it you can make a case to demand that they withdraw the hard pull and if they refuse or drag their heels responding file a CFPB complaint. 

It does take some effort and the process takes a few months so you'll have to decide for yourself if you can make a strong enough case for withdrawal and the effort would be worth the outcome.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Is it worth disputing a HP on your credit report?

Disputing this inquiry isn't going to get you a lot of points back, not worth it in my opinion.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.