cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my AU status harming my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is my AU status harming my credit score?

Hi. Forum newbie here. 

I have been working on improving my credit score in preparation of purchasing a home. We hope to meet with a broker in the next three months. My current scores: EX 632 / EQ 594 / TU 603

After paying off my CCs and getting old collections deleted, my score just doesn't seem to be improving as fast as I hoped it would. Right now, I have 4 CCs currently at $0 balance:

AMEX - $1,000 CL

Capital One Platinum - $750 CL

Capital One Quicksilver - $1,500

Credit One - $300 CL

(I usually keep under 30% UTL on these accounts, but have 60d lates on each from 9 months ago)

I am an AU on my mother's CC:

CL: $9,450

UTL: $6,288 / 67%

UTL on this card is usually maintained between 50-70%. This CC is 2y older than my CCs (9y); however, not older than my oldest student loans. My youngest student loan account is only 10m old, my oldest is 11y. 

Considering UTL and AAoA, is it beneficial for me to remove myself as an AU on this CC? 

When it comes to UTL, does only the percentage matter? Or does the $ value of the available credit also factor in? 

If you have knowledge or experience, I will appreciate your share. Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Is my AU status harming my credit score?

Yes that high utilization is hurting you. 

Also all your card reporting 0 balance will hurt too. Let one card report a small balance.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 13
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Also all your card reporting 0 balance will hurt too. Let one card report a small balance.

+100. The points you're losing from your util. being across 2-3 thresholds consistently is absolutely more than you would lose from an AAoA standpoint. I don't even think you'd lose anything from your account age with your own being aged 9 years with your loans being even older; if so it would be a negligible amount. I would 100% kick that card to the curb if it were me. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

Thanks. This was my assumption. I appreciate your feedback. 

I only zero-ed my CCs this month. Before this, I used each one up to 20-30% UTL, but I will be moving to the AZEO strategy from here. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

+100. The points you're losing from your util. being across 2-3 thresholds consistently is absolutely more than you would lose from an AAoA standpoint. I don't even think you'd lose anything from your account age with your own being aged 9 years with your loans being even older; if so it would be a negligible amount. I would 100% kick that card to the curb if it were me. 

Wow. I guess I didn't expect this to make that big of an impact, especially never having been late and with a high limit. For some reason, I believed that the high credit limit was a plus. Smiley Sad 

I will be removing myself from AU today and adopting the AZEO practice. Thanks so much for your reply.

Message 5 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea 67% is pretty high usage. Dollar amount doesn't matter to FICO, though definitely upon manual review, some lenders may get spooked if it's a lot of money. Removing yourself, especially if it's not even your oldest account (and even if it was, utilization counts for far more than credit age - 30% vs 15%) will definitely help in this case. Also, yes AZEO should squeeze out some more points, especially for your mortgage scores.

Good luck, OP!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others said. remove yourself. You`ll still have 5 CCs reporting which is the sweet spot. Make sure one of them is reporting a small balance (less than 2% of your overall UT) and make sure its a credit card and not a store card. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi. Forum newbie here. 

I have been working on improving my credit score in preparation of purchasing a home. We hope to meet with a broker in the next three months. My current scores: EX 632 / EQ 594 / TU 603

After paying off my CCs and getting old collections deleted, my score just doesn't seem to be improving as fast as I hoped it would. Right now, I have 4 CCs currently at $0 balance:

AMEX - $1,000 CL

Capital One Platinum - $750 CL

Capital One Quicksilver - $1,500

Credit One - $300 CL

(I usually keep under 30% UTL on these accounts, but have 60d lates on each from 9 months ago)

I am an AU on my mother's CC:

CL: $9,450

UTL: $6,288 / 67%

UTL on this card is usually maintained between 50-70%. This CC is 2y older than my CCs (9y); however, not older than my oldest student loans. My youngest student loan account is only 10m old, my oldest is 11y. 

Considering UTL and AAoA, is it beneficial for me to remove myself as an AU on this CC? 

When it comes to UTL, does only the percentage matter? Or does the $ value of the available credit also factor in? 

If you have knowledge or experience, I will appreciate your share. Thanks!

The utilization is way too high to be an AU on that card! You are losing points because of it.

I'd remove yourself ASAP and as mentioned above you are getting the all cards at zero penalty (AU accounts do not count).

Also, mortgage scores love $0 balances, so you really should have all but one CC report a $0 balance. If the AMEX is the charge card, you can not use that as your non-zero card. Use Cap One.

Lastly, many times mortgage apps disregard AU accounts or ask you to remove yourself from them anyway because they can artificially inflate your scores, so it needs to go anyway.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is being AU on each other's card hurting our scores for us? We want to use a VAloan this time next year.  Do we really have "3" accts reported for both for scoring or need to apply for 1 more card?  Or not at all cuz our credit age is only like 9 months.  For example: We are post bankruptcy 1 yr 3 months, no late payments, 1 installment loan each.

Him: secured Capt1-$500 CL- me AU

Him: Misson lane- $1250 CL

Me: Capt1 secured-$500 CL- him AU

Me: Mission Lane- $500 Cl

Our Ultization is 12%  

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is being AU on each other's card hurting our scores for us? We want to use a VAloan this time next year.  Do we really have "3" accts reported for both for scoring or need to apply for 1 more card?  Or not at all cuz our credit age is only like 9 months.  For example: We are post bankruptcy 1 yr 3 months, no late payments, 1 installment loan each.

Him: secured Capt1-$500 CL- me AU

Him: Misson lane- $1250 CL

Me: Capt1 secured-$500 CL- him AU

Me: Mission Lane- $500 Cl

Our Ultization is 12%  

My friend just got approved with a BK from Dec 2018. He had 4 AUs on his credit. They didn't mention anything. Without them his credit was in the 500s, climbed to 630-660 with the AUs. I would not remove them unless they ask to. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.