cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is paying the OC/owner the right move for medicals?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is paying the OC/owner the right move for medicals?

I've recently been slowly paying old medical bills that are in collections.  Before finding this site, which is mind boggling with information at times, I figured it best to pay the source of a collection. Is this incorrect?  Should I be going to the CA's instead?  

Next question, removal from my credit report.   Do I now send GW letters to only the CA or to both the CA & medical facility's billing dept.?  Who has the most power to get these removed?

This is just my beginnings here and I appreciate any and all help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is paying the OC/owner the right move for medicals?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've recently been slowly paying old medical bills that are in collections.  Before finding this site, which is mind boggling with information at times, I figured it best to pay the source of a collection. Is this incorrect?  Should I be going to the CA's instead?  

Next question, removal from my credit report.   Do I now send GW letters to only the CA or to both the CA & medical facility's billing dept.?  Who has the most power to get these removed?

This is just my beginnings here and I appreciate any and all help!

Best way is to deal with the OC. If you had no agreement to recall the collectors then once its paid you would use GW letters to whomever is reporting it asking that the TL be removed. Each entity retains power over their own reporting and no one can force them to delete.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is paying the OC/owner the right move for medicals?

Thank you!

If only one could know everything beforehand. I've paid most of them already Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.